0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Rescued another one...

MotorMog
Quote:
It'll grunt n growl like a lusty old pig

Marko1960
So Nick, how's the re-finish going, what materials are you using? I've got a body that I made and I'm gonna use Re-Ranch three tone burst system
Marko1960

This is the body in question, I've done some work on it since this pic was taken, I've cut out for a headless bridge and cleaned it up, need to trim for binding
2nick3
Only got the amp done this weekend. Cleaned the tolex (and threw away the towels I used - soaked in nasty smoke/nicotine/tar residue), replaced the missing screws, rewarded myself with a nice Malbec, and plugged it in.

And it sounds like it has a built-in reverb consisting of a disposable aluminum basting pan. Which could be a really neat effect for a song or two. Maybe. But probably not.

I think the speaker is blown. Need to do some testing to verify. I can't find anything hanging onto the magnet, and pulling the speaker back out of the cabinet doesn't change the awful sound.

Tone through headphones is awesome. I can see why these things have such great reputations.

So the Minx will take up another week or two, based on how much free time I (don't) have, then I'll get to refinishing the Foundation.
mr zee
Not sure what you would call a Jazz with twin humbuckers ,erm a J Pee-Pee perhaps

Bucked up n ready to!

? What were you thinking
mr zee
Have taken the three basses that I put new pots and pups in down to Beej, local luthier for soldering up. He gave them the once over and was fairly impressed with what I had done so far. Marko's tip for neck relief and action adjustment came in handy as they were 99% right. Pups on the Thunderbird were a bit low but everything else ok. Charging £20 each to finish em off.
2nick3
Update on the Peavey Minx 110:

Speaker was blown. Badly. It was just wishful thinking that it was OK. After a few weeks of searching around locally to see if I could find an inexpensive replacement driver for it I gave up and ordered one, which got here Friday.

Holy crap does this Eminence BP102 sound AMAZING!!! Clear crisp highs, solid thumping lows. Now I know why there are Eminence speaker bigots out there - I may have to become one!

Overall I really like this combo amp (provided the driver is definitely upgraded from stock). It has a very “pure” sound to me - each bass I play through it sounds like the bass itself, like the amp isn't coloring the sound. Even my AEB has that great woody thump that some amps seem to minimize.

I'm in the Minx-110 for $70 now, and I think my Orange Crush 50-BXT is in trouble, as it is worth double that.
2nick3
So with the amp done, and work calming down for the end of the year, I'm ready to start focusing on the bass. Step 1 is done - full disassembly is complete. So next is getting the paint off the body.

I have a heat gun and a few different scrapers, I'm just worried about scorching the wood. There's the hope that the body wood could be nice enough to do a clear finish, and I definitely don't want to lose that opportunity if it's there.

Any advice, words of encouragement, cautionary tales, off-color jokes or drinking songs anyone wants to share as I embark on this project?
Marko1960
A heat gun won't remove the polyester finish so avoid using it, polyester is very hard and brittle and sometimes comes off if you get a scraper underneath it otherwise it's lots of sanding I'm afraid, don't use chemicals either, poly is immune to them. The chance of a nice bit of quilt maple being under a poly finish is also unlikely. Check out Re-Ranch finishes, lots of classic and speciality finishes on there for guitars
Marko1960
By the way Nick, is the Foundation a U S model or Far East?

Reply to this thread