0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Rescued another one...

2nick3
Crack by the neck socket (too <redacted> pissed to name things correctly!) - arrow pointing to the crack:

Cracks around the output jack (which is bent pretty badly - will need a new one) that come out through the veneer on the front of the body :

And from the inside of the control cavity - hard to see the cracks but you see the chunk of wood that came out:

2nick3
For stripping the paint most of the work was done with a heat gun, and I'm now sanding it down. What's left is the sealant that was on under the paint, and that is mostly on the sides of the body, so lots of hand-sanding in my future. But before I keep up with that I need to repair the big crack. I'm going to work glue into it as well as I can, clamp it for a few days, then see how it comes out. Not much else I can do…
Marko1960
The neck socket crack seems to be in the veneer as it doesn't run into the socket, the Jack socket one is a bit more severe but serviceable. Your idea with the glue and clamp can't hurt. How about a sunburst finish as the edges will be solid black therefore hiding the repair, the front and back will show off the full glory of the veneer
mr zee
A friend of mine is a joiner and on occasions added saw dust to glue to try and replicate the colour of the wood but I think the cracks maybe too small. Time for some outta the box thinking
2nick3
I have no idea why Peavey would put a veneer on a body that was destined to be painted, but here it is, and I'll take it. I've been thinking a sunburst would work, for exactly the reasons you said, Marko. But I'm also thinking I want to do it a little differently - maybe going with a blue spectrum rather than the traditional sunburst colorings.
Marko1960
Ibanez put veneer on their Jem guitars then painted them and they cost about two and a half grand
2nick3
And I have an inspiration for what I have in mind (for now, at least):

https://reverb.com/item/3026268-ibanez-pf-series-pf15ece-tbs-acoustic-guitar

Dang but that finish is sweet looking!
Marko1960
Have a look on the Re-Ranch website, loads of finishes on there, all for guitar
2nick3
I have a serious problem. I really do. Pretty much permanent GAS…

One of the drummers I play with at church decided to get rid of his old bass - too heavy to play on the few occasions he does play bass. He offered it to me, and I jumped at it.

But can you blame me? A single-owner 1982 Peavey T-40, well taken care of, at a “no hassle, going to someone I know will appreciate it and take good care of it” price?

I may have a problem, but passing up an opportunity like this is not it!
LoudLon [moderator]
Firstly, there are far worse problems to have than compulsive bass rebuilding. Secondly, who in their right mind would have passed up a free bass of that quality? I would have been more concerned if you HADN'T jumped at it!

Reply to this thread