0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Rescued another one...

2nick3
It's a US, serial number indicates from '92.

I see videos like this of people removing poly with a heat gun:

I know it won't be that easy for me, because that's not how my life works (I mean come on - he's not even scraping!!), but I'm hopeful it will significantly reduce the amount of sanding needed. I have everything I need to try, so the risk is to my time. And possibly catching the bass on fire, but at least I'll have a good story if I manage to do that!

Once I know what the wood looks like I'll start focusing on the finish. Even ugly wood can look interesting - a sunburst effect but as a fade across the whole face, maybe. That's my problem - too many ideas, but I don't know what I'm working with yet.
Marko1960
I've downloaded a Peavey Foundation users manual but there's no date on it. It says that the gloss finished body is made from Maple and the satin finished body is made from Ash. Does yours have neck tilt adjustment? Some photos would be nice
2nick3
Here's the “before” pic:

And here's the back of the body with most of the paint removed:

What I've found online, and how it looks, indicates alder. With it being one piece, and a nice looking one, I'm definitely heading toward a natural/transparent finish. Possibly Tru-Oil, but I'm also thinking a blue/denim colored stain would look nice.

Functionally the 1983 manual covers the bass, but the body material appears to have changed to alder around 1990 or so, and this is a '92. It does have the cool neck-tilt adjustment system, which works really well.
https://assets.peavey.com/literature/manuals/80300018.pdf

A few years ago I picked up another ‘92 Foundation, black with maple fret board, where the previous owner had removed the frets (Jaco style). It sounds great, and the neck is really easy to play, but my ear isn’t developed enough to be good on fretless (nor do I slap very well), so I'm looking forward to getting this one playable.
Marko1960
Just remember, Tru-oil is for life, not just for Christmas
Marko1960
The second pic has come onto my iPad all pink! Can't decide if it's ash, maple or alder!
Marko1960
Ha! Sorted itself, it's maple
Marko1960
…or ash!
Marko1960
…or alder
2nick3
I finished (mostly) stripping the paint over the weekend, and I'm kinda pissed. The damage round the output jack is more severe than I though. There's also a crack up by the head stock socket…

My speculation, corroborated by a friend who is helping me, is that the former owner pulled a ‘Paul Simonon’ with this bass:

Which is a totally cool album cover, but a <redacted> thing to do to a bass.

Really puts me in a <redacted> <redacted> <redacted> mood, and I'd like to have a ‘conversation’ with the <redacted> <redacted> <redacted> <redacted> who did it.

With the wood repairs needed I'm now leaning toward a painted finish. Which sucks, as even with fact the body has a veneer front and back I think a stain/natural finish could look gorgeous.

<redacted> <redacted> <redacted> <redacted> <redacted> <redacted> <redacted>!!!
Marko1960
Interesting story behind the Paul Simenon incident, at the time he was using three Precision Basses, two newish ones and a 1962, he actually thought he was playing one of the new ones but turned the 62 into firewood instead, didn't know until he got back to the dressing room.
Anyway, Nick, how about some pics and what do you mean, headstock socket?
Pics of the damage that is

Reply to this thread