0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

People my age so ignorant with music

Marko1960
It's a generation thing. I'm not a fan of 90% of modern music! but then my dad was not into 90% of what I was into when I was a teen! and on it goes. But what does separate today's crap from the stuff back in the day is that today's music is the product of shrewd marketing and has very little to do with the artists talent, (or lack of it). There's an old saying, ‘You can’t polish a turd', try telling that to Simon Cowell
linkinpark232
Like the only good new stuff is genres I listed or bands from 60s-90s
LP
I think people would appreciate more of today's music if it were not so manufactured and manipulated. Not saying that didn't happen back in the good old days because it did, but even back then it never seemed so bad as it does now.
The Monkees are a prime example yet I think most people would either love them or have a very strong appreciation for them. I really can't see a lot of today's artists being looked upon in the same way 20+ years from now.
IamMark
You also have to consider that music today, versus 60s through 90s, is subject to overexposure due to way more outlets. We're saturated with songs into every bit of media we have now. You'll hear a song on the radio (programmed to play every 25 minutes) on many channels (thanks Satellite radio for giving us hundreds of channels to hear the same stuff over and over). Then you hear it in movie soundtracks, tv advertisements, feel good news pieces, gas station radio stations, musak (MUSAK!!!), on and on.

A perfect example would be Parachute's song “Let Her Go.” I actually like the song (lyrics and music), but I cringe hearing the way this guy sings it. It sounds like an adult trying to sing like a 3-year old boy. I don't get it. But you know what? Apparently millions like it. Because that's all I hear on radio and tv now. The song was recorded in 2011, I believe, and it's been overplayed within the past 6 months. Hell, it's even been in a Budweiser commercial (success!).

But it's popular now, something better will come along tomorrow and sicken everyone after we've been saturated with that song for another few months. All part of the marketing machine.
Twiggybass
You know I myself grew up with what some would call “real bands” like Aeromsith, ZZ Top, Def Leppard and a musician who i adore and is not talked about much and that is the ever talented Eddie money. that is the music i grew up with and i feels like no ones cares anymore what good music was and to some still is from 60s 70s 80s and some 90s music and there is those select few who are stuck in these periods because it means something to them and know that, that was what music was with other bands like Rush, Billy Squire, Bob Dylan and Billy Joel and as i grew up i wondered what the hell was happening to music for the last ten years ago and as a musician i can honestly say that music is headed for hell now with the expection of some bands but a prime example is the PSY with that stupid song - Gangham Style. that is the worst piece of trash i ever heard and yet people like it and it goes to show that you don't have to accomplish anything anymore to be a serious musician and play your heart out like they did 30 years ago.
Quote:
I think people would appreciate more of today's music if it were not so manufactured and manipulated. Not saying that didn't happen back in the good old days because it did, but even back then it never seemed so bad as it does now.The Monkees are a prime example yet I think most people would either love them or have a very strong appreciation for them. I really can't see a lot of today's artists being looked upon in the same way 20+ years from now.

Good point LP. I personally LOVE The Monkees & they were probably the first manufactured boy band ever to be created. Despite that the band & their music is timeless.
softcell62
I adore The Monkees yet they were created to cash in on the success of The Beatles Stateside.
That may be the case but I really love their music & I can forgive the concept of how they got together.
LoudLon [moderator]
Quote:
...a musician who i adore and is not talked about much and that is the ever talented Eddie money.

Submitted a couple of your Eddie requests tonight and should have the rest (and the Buck Cherry's) over the next day or two. I'm a big Eddie M fan myself; very surprised he's under-represented here on BBT's.
LoudLon [moderator]
Oh, I'll let the Money flow.

EDDIE Money. Not, like, CASH money. I don't like you people THAT much.
softcell62
Oh Lon! I thought you loved us! I'm not familiar with Eddie Money but if you like him Lon, get tabbing!

Reply to this thread