0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Rescued another one...

2nick3
The neck is good - nice and straight with good action (and dirty, very dirty), there's a buzz in the electronics even with the volume all the way down, and the body is pretty beat up - lots of chips and dings.

By dirty I mean dirty - my hand sticks to the neck, and I've wiped it down a half dozen times already. The seller was a smoker, and the whole thing is covered with that nicotine-tar sludge/muck that things that don't move for years in a smokers house collect. I wash my hands copiously after handling it to get the smell and stickiness off them.

I'm going to disassemble it completely, refinish the body (trying to come up with ideas for a cool way to paint it out), clean everything, clean everything again, maybe a third full cleaning, then put her back together and see what I have.

My last lucky find was another Foundation (same year of manufacture, by the serial numbers) that had been defretted by the previous owner. The pickups on it have a great sound, so I hope I can get this one up to that level.
IamMark
Sticky neck… ewwww.

Good luck with the cleaning. I recommend sandblasting to get the tar off.

Don't use a sandblaster. That was a joke.
mr zee
Personaly i wouldn't,you can find a little more quality for your dosh even at that price point

For the £100 range a new Harley Benton JB-20 SB (good reviews) from Thomann or a second hand Squire off the classifieds/eBay for the same kinda price

What about samick, I've seen a couple on gumtree
Marko1960
Nick, for a re-finish what about Hydrographics, check it out on YouTube and you can buy the kits on eBay.

Tantrum over, nothing like a day rendering in the rain to put life in perspective
MotorMog
Quote:
What about samick, I've seen a couple on gumtree

Korean models are supposed to be ok , think I would go for a Squier though

Check out the post by Guinny in this thread that Affinity model with mods looks very cool
mr zee
Quote:
Quote: What about samick, I've seen a couple on gumtree Korean models are supposed to be ok , think I would go for a Squier thoughCheck out the post by Guinny in this thread that Affinity model with mods looks very cool

don't forget I don't play in a band so I don't really need one that good its only for my own pleasure plus I like to tinker with them and mod em up a bit. But you're right those two in the picture were a bit dreadful
MotorMog
Quote:
Quote: Quote: don't forget I don't play in a band so I don't really need one that good its only for my own pleasure plus I like to tinker with them and mod em up a bit

That's cool I'm guessing you get as much fun fixing em up as you do playing them

Me I just need one bullet proof bass for practise,rehersals & gigging. if it plugs in and makes a noise for an hour and a half were all good

Marko1960
Quote:
Quote: Me I just need one bullet proof bass for practise,rehersals & gigging. if it plugs in and makes a noise for an hour and a half were all good
What if it goes tits up mid gig? then what? Oh yeah, you slink off to the bar

Silly me
MotorMog
Quote:
Quote: Quote: What if it goes tits up mid gig? then what? Oh yeah, you slink off to the barSilly me

Crikey am I really that obvious Marko !!!

Actually more chance of my amp head going up in smoke and I don't have a spare one of those either ,just strings

Sure it would be a nice safety net to have with back-up gear, but the practicalities of lugging all that extra stuff makes it a no go

It's only pub gigs and I don't see it ever being anything more than that ,which is more than alright with me as I'm just a hack playing for fun

And have you ever tried to fit a 5 piece punk band into a fiat 500

mr zee
Have been in a few bands playing punk in the late 70s early 80s then joined a band doing ozzy and other similar covers, then had kids and money was tight so music went out of the window for a while. Started playing again mid 90s and joined a band called bad voodoo doing AC/DC covers that lasted a few years till drummer legged it, then the same drummer a couple of years later had me joining an upbeat soul band where every thing was beefed up so my heavy handed rock style of playing actually fit in quite well and ths lasted till early 00s when most of them became star struck and getting agents involved which was not for me so I gave a couple of months notice so they could get a replacement sorted and not played in a band since and sold every thing then for my 50th daughter bought me that mini lemmy rick and I started collecting copies of all the basses I,d ever owned

Reply to this thread