0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Most influential metal album of the 80s?

Sadwings
Screaming For Vengenace
Cheekychuck
Judas Priest is heavy metal, not thrash. Although Metallica did not create it, they were certainly one of the first to get mainstream air play with One and Enter Sandman. Not many heavy bands can say that. Some said they sold out to get on radio ala Nickelback, but Metallica is legit.
Cheekychuck
Quote:
Screaming For Vengenace

That was my anthem when i was a young pissed off teenager. Rockin the jean jacket with cut off sleeves, and a Judas Priest back patch, and yes a mullet
Sadwings
In my humble opinion…A true Metallica fan dislikes everything after Masters! They lost their edge after Cliff was murdered…opps, I mean killed! In the 80's, they stood for one thing only, and that was In your face Metal! Then they got the taste of success, and never looked backed. Its a shame for what this band has for talent, and then its wasted. I give Megadeth more credit for being consistent more then Metallica.

My top three 80's pick would be Metal Church s/t, Judas Priest's Screaming, & Iron Maiden's Number of the Beast.

S
linkinpark232
I said SOME of Priest, not all. But Megadeth is a trillion times better than Metallica. They've always been heavier
linkinpark232
Killing Is My Business… And Business Is Good is in my top 10 debut album list. Great album, started off strong and still standing. Can't say that about Slayer or Anthrax, sadly. Those 2 bands have failed their last couple albums. God Hates Us All was Slayer's last good album
IamMark
Quote:
But still, Metallica did not create thrash. Hell, Judas Priest was thrash on some of their stuff
I don't understand this.

What criteria are you using to define “metal” during the 80s then? You seem to be confusing things with very personal opinions about what you believe is metal and “thrash” during a decade that you didn't live through.

Or I may be totally wrong with what is considered “metal”.

I don't even think “thrash” was a genre in the 80s. Certainly not the early 80s.

Coming out of the 70s, you had hard rock bands like Led Zeppelin and Iron Maiden that spawned the metal scene going in to the 80s. Metal seemed like just a progression of harder and faster rock. “Metal” became a style surrounding this fast-paced power chord rich music coupled with a following of young, rebelious teenagers who connected with anti-social sentiment and dark lyrics in the music.

I remember “thrash” coming towards the end of the 80s as another progession of hard rock (metal) that seemed favored to the skateboarding community (Butthole Surfers come to mind).

So, my understanding of what is metal and thrash, or hard rock is going to be completely different from someone else's experience or taste who went through that decade.

And what was then considered “metal” is now considered “hard rock” to today's musical standard (Black Sabbath comes to mind).
linkinpark232
I call Zeppelin and Sabbath metal. And thrash came out in the 80s, so what if it wasn't called that. IT'S STILL THRASH
Sadwings
Zeppelin is far from the Metal genre..IMO, Every album had it own uniqueness about it, but nothing Metal. Judas Priest was delivering 70's Metal in that time period. I would put LZ into the one of the best Hard/Rock bands in history.
Cheekychuck
Just my opinion, but Thrash metal to me, is when I can't understand the lyrics, and the music sounds like noise. Voivod comes to mind.

Just to clarify Link, Zeppelin is hard rock and Sabbath is metal. There is a line there, you have to find it.

And a lot of these sub categories were spawned off of heavy metal; thrash, speed, death, etc.

Reply to this thread