0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

The introductions thread!

LoudLon [moderator]
Quote:
I'm Matt. I've been playing the guitar in a mediocre manner for many years, and have just taken up the bass to play with a group of people that gather together and make music. Everyone else plays ukulele or guitar, so they advertised for a bassist and so far are willing to put up with me. Does anyone have a recommended software for making bass tabs? Or any other recommendation for a beginner bassist?

Hi Matt, and welcome.

I don't use software, just a Microsoft Notebook template I made. But in the past I've used Power Tab and Guitar Pro. Power Tab is free, and I learned quite a bit about the technical side of music – time signatures, note durations, tied notes, stuff like acciaccatura, ritardando – from that program than I ever did reading books on such things. Guitar Pro is a premium program, and aside from a more modern-looking interface and better sounding midi, there's really not a huge difference between it and Power Tab.

As for beginner recommendations, familiarize yourself with the fretboard. Learn what note falls on which fret, and learn how different notes relate with and to one another – in other words, learn scales. Plenty of bass players can get by chugging root notes and simply staying in key, but if you want to advance, ya gots ta learn scales.

Don't limit yourself to one style of music. You never know where you might find inspiration, so explore different genres. I'm mainly a metal and alt-rock guy, but some of my favorite bass lines are from R&B, rap, hip hop, country, pop…

Don't let anyone tell you real bassists don't use a pick. If you can stay in key, keep time and follow chord changes, doesn't matter whether you use your fingers or a pick – you're a real bassist.
2nick3
Quote:
Does anyone have a recommended software for making bass tabs? Or any other recommendation for a beginner bassist?

Hi Matt - welcome!

For tabs I have a template in Word. The thing you have to remember is to use a monospace font (Courier New) so things stay in alignment.

There are a few things I think are important when starting out - practice with a metronome, play with others (which you are doing), and establish a routine that has you playing every day. 15 minutes a day 7 days a week is going to be more beneficial to your growth than 2 hours once a week.
johnny880
Welcome Matt. I agree with Nick. I play 6 days a week. But for a longer period of time. Usually 2 to 3 hours. That's just me. My brother only wanted to play on weekends and quickly found out he had forgotten new things he was learning. In only 5 days! Timing was off. Fingers and fretting were off etc. It pays to play as often as you can.
johnny880
Real bassists do play with a pick Loudlon. You are right. Some do both. I play with my fingers but I so want to learn how to play with a pick. I have been trying but I suck. Its like I am learning bass all over again. I want to be able to play both styles. I think certain songs and types of music really require you to know how to play both styles.
hey everyone. I'm new to this site. so far, the tabs seem really good and I have learned a lot from the tabs here. I'm not that good on the bass guitar but I want to get better. I'm a big fan of bands like Gorillaz, arctic monkeys, and the red hot chili peppers.
does anyone still use this thread?
LoudLon [moderator]
Yes, if only sporadically. Welcome.
thanks!
jeez, this thread started 8 years ago.
LP
Quote:
jeez, this thread started 8 years ago.

Yes it did.

Reply to this thread