0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

The introductions thread!

mr zee
Quote:
Good Afternoon, I have been playing bass for a few years and consider myself a beginner. I can read tabs and some sheet music. I am in a 3 man band. The guitarist plays “By Ear” that leads to disagreements sometimes. He doesn’t like to prepare and learn songs like I do, I practice at least 10 hrs a week. Who is right. He just likes to plays songs by memory. Help. Who is right.

Before any of you practise/rehearse songs you should find a key the vocalist is comfortable singing in for each song then take it from there. He can learn his way and you yours.
MooseToo
Absolutely dead on mr zee!
mr zee
Its common sense really to do this. Guitarist plays by ear in G, Bass player learns song in actual key G# but vocalist needs it to be played in C. That ain't gonna work. Can save a lot of time and frustration.
2nick3
And, when it comes to the key, the singer is always right.
MotorMog
Quote:
Its common sense really to do this. Guitarist plays by ear in G, Bass player learns song in actual key G# but vocalist needs it to be played in C. That ain't gonna work. Can save a lot of time and frustration.

Exactly this , although the key in which our singer actually sings is debatable !!!

We all go into “rehearsals” having already learnt the song “practicing” at home ( in the same key )

Then just jam it out together until we get a working version we are all happy with , which only normally takes 2/3 runs through as we all know what is expected of us to make it happen

IamMark
Quote:
Then you get a guitarist that uses a capo, and throws the Earth off its axis for ya.
2nick3
Quote:
Then you get a guitarist that uses a capo, and throws the Earth off its axis for ya.

Hey Mark - this is a family site, we don't use the C-word around here!
Hi Everyone,
New guy here. I have been drumming for years and recently decided I wanted to try the bass as I watch a lot of unplugged videos and do a lil unplugged jamming with a friend. He plays guitar and I was playing my bongos. I thought it might be cool to play the bass in some of the songs so I bought a bass.
I know lots of drummers and guitar players but bassists are rare around here. I figured if I started in the fall by spring I might be decent. I found this site when I was looking for tabs. I use to read music but that was way back when I was a kid and played the piano. Tabs are easy to read and help to learn songs quickly.
Looking forward to browsing around here and having fun with the bass.
-VC-
LoudLon [moderator]
Hello and welcome.
mr zee
Welcome to the show, so to speak. there's a good crowd on this site with a wealth of experience. Enjoy your new venture playing the bass.

Reply to this thread