0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Who's the biggest influence on your style and sound?

linkinpark232
10 years ago
Report this message
Wondering who everyone's biggest bass hero is and why he/she influences you. For my heavy metal band and solo project I would have to pick David Ellefson of Megadeth or Twiggy of Marilyn Manson who is now Marilyn's guitarist, singer and guitarist of Goon Moon, and ex bassist of NIN. I chose these two because they mix dark and lighter notes together that gives an eerie sound. There's an edge to it all that always keeps the music racing. Now, for my indie band it would HAVE to be Jared Folowill of Kings Of Leon because he actually uses every string of the bass… a lot. His lines are complex yet simple, very contradicting. The tone of his Thunderbird is punchy yet soothing all at the same time.
LoudLon [moderator]
I can't say I've been particularly influenced by anyone in particular in regards to the stuff I do on my own, but I do have a preference for bassist who do their own thing under the guitars rather than follow them along and pound out root notes. Guys like Chris Novoselic, Robert DeLeo, Muzz Skillings, Jeff Ament, and a number of others. But I wouldn't say they've influenced me, per se, other than in regards to making me want to do my own thing under the guitars, as well.
Marko1960
My earliest influences were the late, great Ronnie Lane of The Faces and Glen Cornick of Jethro Tull, Geddy Lee of course was a major inspiration but I've found that my style is a lot like Duff McKagen, I like to keep it interesting but not too busy so as to get in the way of the guitarist, and my lead guitarist is Awesome so I give him plenty of room. But the bass player doesn't need to be flash, have you ever noticed during a song how certain bass notes in a song stand out and totally change the mood. I think you'll like my bands name, it started out as a joke but then it stuck, it's copyrighted btw, the band name is, Virgin Bloodbath!
linkinpark232
Marko, what the @$!#?! Hahahaha come on man that's downright strange. Oh well whatever y'all like
Well I have a number of influences. First are my absolute heros John Myung from Dream Theater and Cliff Burton from Metallica. I like them because they, like me, give the guitarist room and, when needed, give out some of the best bass solos I've ever heard. Other influences I have are Steve Kmak and John Moyer from Disturbed, Ken Macmillan from Nonpoint, Justin Chanellor from Tool, and Matt Snell from 5FDP.
Quote:
Marko, what the @$!#?! Hahahaha come on man that's downright strange. Oh well whatever y'all like
Weird yes, but kinda catchy in a fucked up Danzig kinda way.
Marko1960
Marko1960 from Virgin Bloodbath aint half bad either lol
LoudLon [moderator]
My first band's name was Dead Cat Rigormortis. I was the drummer. We were basically a bunch of young soldiers who would get drunk and make a lot of noise in the barracks on the weekend lol
Quote:
Marko1960 from Virgin Bloodbath aint half bad either lol
True
On the topic of band names I may have a shot at joining the only band in my school. there are only two guys in it, but they are looking like they need a full time bassist. The band name is Infinate Demise.
Marko1960
One of Faith No Mores previous incarnations was ‘Haircuts That Kill’

Reply to this thread