0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Original Riffs Page

Marko1960
It would still work as a thread
johnny880
Any of you can lay down a few notes and people are going to get the idea of the riff. They can work on it. Play it. Add on to it. Or move on to the next one to screw with all the while learning what you guys are playing, where you are playing it, and what you are doing. And the beauty is it doesn't have to be a complicated riff, the whole idea isn't meant to be. My whole idea is for new bass players to think outside of the box and not just learn songs. But to take a few notes from other players and see what they can come up with.
johnny880
Quote:
It would still work as a thread
It would. But the problem I have with that is some people may not want to have there riff critiqued. The ego thing. And there for may not want to contribute. So I think a page of riffs for anyone to mess with and no names attached or rating system is the only way I think it might work. Like I said I would have loved a page like that starting out. Taking other ideas, a few notes here and there and going with it ! If you are just learning bass and you get stuck in that place where you just learn other peoples songs it is hard to do your own thing. A page like this would give new players a way to build there own ideas working with a few notes from other players and still work on the songs they love.
johnny880
Anyhow. Nice talking to guys again. Not sure it would work. Let me know what you think. I like the idea, but now I am going back to my late night backgammon. I am addicted to it. Quarter to 2. Sheesh sucks being a insomniac.
Marko1960
A whole back of gammon all to yourself at 1.45 am, that's some appetite.
Also, riffs can be very lucrative, the Nokia tune for example and the Intel four note riff made some people a tidy sum
LoudLon [moderator]
I have no problem sharing riffs, I just don't have any recording devices and therefore wouldn't be able to post vids or audio files. I can post them in tabs but it wouldn't have a corresponding audio to follow along with. Although I could post a power tab or guitar pro file.

I wouldn't want people adding to them, though. A riff, whether it rocks balls or sucks ass, should be to the credit of the author. The idea of riffs by committee is hugely off-putting to me.
2nick3
And a riff is just a riff - how it fits in with the rest of a song can change it dramatically.

I could play D as straight 8ths for measures on end - not much of a bass riff, right? But if the guitar and keys are moving from G to A to D (IV-V-I in D major - a simple jazz progression) or Am to Gm to Dm (v-iv-i - D Aeolian) it will have a completely different effect on the overall sound.
Marko1960
Quote:
I have no problem sharing riffs, I just don't have any recording devices and therefore wouldn't be able to post vids or audio files. I can post them in tabs but it wouldn't have a corresponding audio to follow along with. Although I could post a power tab or guitar pro file.I wouldn't want people adding to them, though. A riff, whether it rocks balls or sucks ass, should be to the credit of the author. The idea of riffs by committee is hugely off-putting to me.
Good point and some of the most iconic riffs came from the bass player, Smoke on the Water, Roger Glover, Alright Now, Andy Fraser, to name but two

…Another One Bites the Dust, John Deacon, to name but another one
Quote:
Any of you can lay down a few notes and people are going to get the idea of the riff. They can work on it. Play it. Add on to it. Or move on to the next one to screw with all the while learning what you guys are playing, where you are playing it, and what you are doing. And the beauty is it doesn't have to be a complicated riff, the whole idea isn't meant to be. My whole idea is for new bass players to think outside of the box and not just learn songs. But to take a few notes from other players and see what they can come up with.

Sounds good to me
Quote:
Quote: It would still work as a thread It would. But the problem I have with that is some people may not want to have there riff critiqued. The ego thing. And there for may not want to contribute. So I think a page of riffs for anyone to mess with and no names attached or rating system is the only way I think it might work. Like I said I would have loved a page like that starting out. Taking other ideas, a few notes here and there and going with it ! If you are just learning bass and you get stuck in that place where you just learn other peoples songs it is hard to do your own thing. A page like this would give new players a way to build there own ideas working with a few notes from other players and still work on the songs they love.

Get the ball rolling, see where it leads

Reply to this thread