0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

New tab ratings: I'm calling bullshit

Marko1960
He'll have his daughter, Cher, watching his back lol
mr zee
Also, I wouldn’t be surprised if our old fraudulent friend Twiggybass is back up to his old tricks. I wouldn't put it past that twerp to have a hand in any of this.

Yeah, Twiggy is what got me thinking, he's obviously not dealing from a full deck

Well he seems to have a grudge with me and Lon. Never mind, he might grow up one day. clart ead.
2nick3
The idea of dropping ratings all together isn't a bad one. That leads to a need to pruning out less accurate tabs. In theory there should only be one tab per song, and it should be the most accurate that has been submitted. But that means a review of every ‘(Ver X)’ tab to decide if it is better than the current best version, which opens up a whole other can of worms.

Another idea is to make some steep requirements to be able to rate a tab - registered for 30 days, 10 visits to the site. That would slow down anyone creating a new account just to rate a tab.
Marko1960
That last idea is a good one, I was on a forum where you had to build up your membership with useful posts. I say was… Until I told them where they could jam their forum and as that wasn't considered a useful post they showed me the door

…arseholes
mr zee
back door by any chance
mr zee
Another idea is to make some steep requirements to be able to rate a tab - registered for 30 days, 10 visits to the site. That would slow down anyone creating a new account just to rate a tab.

Good idea, and with a like button, as marko suggested, you can like an alright sort of tab, and dependant on the amount of likes the rating should be appropriate
mr zee
The ratings game here has been a joke for a while now. Not one of mine deserve 5 stars (formatting), and yet virtually all were from the moment they posted.

Me too, I have about 170 tabs of which 40 or so haven't been rated and the rest are all 5 star?, In my opinion only a few are worthy of that rating. Of the other 40 only a couple have been faved. I think Marko's idea of a like button should be introduced.
E.G. 3 likes gets you a one star rating, 6 likes gets you a two star rating and so on. The person clicking the like button can only click once per tab. Also 2nick3's idea of having to be registered for 30 days should put fraudulent voters off, hopefully. 3 and 6 are just random numbers.
LoudLon [moderator]
Quote:
E.G. 3 likes gets you a one star rating, 6 likes gets you a two star rating and so on. The person clicking the like button can only click once per tab. Also 2nick3's idea of having to be registered for 30 days should put fraudulent voters off, hopefully. 3 and 6 are just random numbers.

The problem is – not counting the current ratings abuse where people are giving crap tabs multiple high ratings – normally most tabs tend to only get rated once or twice. Obviously if it's a super-popular song it'll likely get more, but I'd say on the average the vast majority of tabs here only have one, two, maybe three ratings at most. I myself have a shit-ton of tabs that have thousands of views and have been favorited multiple times, but have only ever been rated once. So if we were to start only awarding stars based on the number of likes/ratings a tab accrues, then there's a very good chance that a tab that really does deserve five stars will never get it, because not enough people like/rate it.

But I do like 2nick's idea of a user having to have been registered for x amount of time before being able to rate a tab. And I think we could also weed out a lot of those ratings abusers if we were to make it so that you must leave a comment in order for your rating to apply.

But while I would encourage Johnny to freeze ratings for now until we can figure out how to quash the ratings abuse, I don't think it should be permanent. Tab sites like this need rating systems, or what's the point?
Marko1960
Quote:
Tab sites like this need rating systems, or what's the point?
It's already been mentioned that no rating system is better than a flawed system, a beginner believing that a tab is ‘100% correct’ cos it says so and has 5 stars, is gonna have a negative effect on the site when the beginner finally realises that the tab is a mile out
mr zee
So maybe it would be better to keep the present system but add 30 days registration before a new member can rate tabs and only one rating a tab per member. Also all ratings to have a comment left.

Reply to this thread