0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

2018 Releases...what have you purchased?

LP
I may well be totally biased here (if i am i don't care) but the only person who took liberties with the American national anthem and got away with it was Hendrix in my humble opinion!
2nick3
Hendrix did something new and different with the National Anthem. The interview at the end of the clip really tells you where it was coming from:

He served under the Flag, and was paying homage to it and the country. It wasn't about him.

Houston's version falls into the same category for me - it wasn't about her, it was about the song and the country. And lets face it, before she went all wacky she could sing “Row row row your boat” and make it something incredible.

The oafs and hacks who try to outdo either of them are doing it for themselves. With something like that you establish your position as a performer first, THEN you get to set new standards. Performing the National Anthem (for any country) can be the pinnacle of your career, but it can't be first, or only, high point.
LP
Hendrix was not only a genius but a really nice down to earth guy. He left planet Earth way too soon!
As he said it was beautiful what he did with his version & I for one agree.

Whitney Houston could sing when she was drug free. Never heard her version but I'm sure it was tasteful compared to recent renditions.

Sadly what we get today is over the top versions that just sound bloody awful. Mainly from the female artists! It will only get worse!
Marko1960
Only in America do you get pop stars covering the national anthem because only in America do you get such national fervour and patriotism, with a “God bless America” at the end of every sentence, (Hi there, can I take your order, God bless America?“ ”Yeah, hi, I'll take a Big Mac, two double cheeseburgers, an apple pie and God bless America"

Can you imagine Eric Clapton doing ‘God save the Queen’? Basically we don't want her saving. We do have the St George Cross white Anglo Saxon patriotism, but that's another story
Quote:
Hendrix did something new and different with the National Anthem. The interview at the end of the clip really tells you where it was coming from:He served under the Flag, and was paying homage to it and the country. It wasn't about him. Houston's version falls into the same category for me - it wasn't about her, it was about the song and the country. And lets face it, before she went all wacky she could sing “Row row row your boat” and make it something incredible.The oafs and hacks who try to outdo either of them are doing it for themselves. With something like that you establish your position as a performer first, THEN you get to set new standards. Performing the National Anthem (for any country) can be the pinnacle of your career, but it can't be first, or only, high point.

Jimi was unique as was his version of the anthem!
Eric Clapton performing god save the queen! I could see that happening, probably be epic!

Reply to this thread