0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Your Favorite Song To Play

LewisB
Definitely either La Bamba as I have just started playing bass and it's quite easy or The Super Mario Bro's theme tune. I recommend both.
2nick3
Quote:
I know what you mean Lon, it's easier to remember songs you have a greater passion for.

What's funny is I have a few songs I love to play that I really don't like as songs. The bass lines are fun enough, and when I'm playing I'm not really listening to the song as a whole, so it doesn't matter much.
Marko1960
Monkey Gone to Heaven by the Pixies, nice one to get the pick out for
Wild thing by the Troggs
IamMark
I recently had a guitarist ask me what my “go to music” was. Meaning, what are the songs I always rely on for jamming with others.

I couldn't answer him. I really had to think about it, because I have become the type of player that doesn't really gravitate to one particular artist or style. Back in my early days of playing, I would have quickly answered him by saying, “anything by the Police or Led Zeppelin.” But after a few decades of being away from playing, and recently returning, I can't remember much of the Police or Led Zeppelin catalogs, because these just aren't songs I routinely play anymore. Except for Message in a Bottle.

In fact, my mind is so full of useless information and bullshit, that I find that once I learn a new song, and commit it to memory, I forget a song I routinely played even a week or two before. I think me brain is full! I now rely on notes to get me through a lot of stuff when playing live and with others.

Like others have said, the songs I like to play don't necessarily equate to songs I like to listen to. But for some reason I enjoy the timing of them, or the way they feel while I play them. Does that make sense? For example, some of my recent favorites to play are Main Street (Bob Seger), Fire Away (Chris Stapelton), Drift Away (Dobie Gray), and Can't Find My Way Home (Blind Faith).

I do get excited when I get to throw a 90s song in our set list like Nutshell (AIC), State of Love and Trust (Pearl Jam), Fall Down (Toad The Wet Sprocket). I still have a soft spot for that genre of music.

LoudLon [moderator]
Quote:
I do get excited when I get to throw a 90s song in our set list like Nutshell (AIC), State of Love and Trust (Pearl Jam), Fall Down (Toad The Wet Sprocket). I still have a soft spot for that genre of music.

My tastes in music are broad (just look at my tab list) but my absolute favorite is ‘90s alt-rock as well. I’ve had State of Love and Trust and a bunch of other PJ songs on my to-do list for a while now, and some day I might actually get around to them. They're one of my favorite bands, but I've only tabbed like three of their songs. Shame on me!

Anyway, currently I'm playing a lot of Ghost. My daughter turned me on to the band. I didn't like them at first – I felt that for a metal band, they were too polished, and I missed the crunch and growl usually associated with metal. But they grew on me, and now I'm a fan (in fact I have a number of their songs on my to-tab list now). I'm especially into their song From the Pinnacle to the Pit (tab also forthcoming). That opening bass riff is bad-ass!
Probably around the world by Red Hot Chili Peppers
Marko1960
Speaking of Pearl Jam, did I mention Evenflow
toxigay
“No one knows” by Queens Of The Stone Age.
That's just awesome
“The Chicken” by Jaco Pastorius, “Money” by Pink Floyd, “Witchy Woman” by Eagles, “Lateralus” by Tool… Also, “Schism” by Tool…. These are few songs that I love jamming along with.

Thread locked

This thread has been locked by an administrator.