0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Trouble writting tabs

mr zee
Got ya, now it all makes a bit more sense, I think. 12 bar is easy as its 1+2+3+4 etc but reggae doesn't have the same timing so the tab reader needs to be informed of the musical style and will also need to listen to the song as well
LoudLon [moderator]
Quote:
There's a triplet at the end of my Bootsy Collins line for example

Well, no, that's not a triplet as you've tabbed it. That's two 16ths and an 8th.

In a triplet, be it triplet 8ths, 16ths, quarters, or halves, you're playing three equal-length notes in a space where normally you would only play two.

Using triplet 8ths as an example, let's say you're playing a song where each quarter is one second long. Normally that means two equal-length, 1/2 second 8th notes per quarter.

But if you're doing triplet 8ths, you're playing three equal-length notes in that space of one second instead of two. So instead of two 8th beats at 1/2 second each, you've got three 8th beats at 1/3 second each. If you hold any of those notes longer than 1/3, it's no longer a triplet.

A good example of triplet 8ths is Magnet and Steel by Walter Egan. Here's the opening staff (ignore the dots, I needed them to make sure the triplet notations lined up):

Tabs:
....( 3 ) ( 3 ) ( 3 ) ( 3 ) ( 3 ) ( 3 ) ( 3 ) ( 3 )
G |—————————————————————————|—————————————————————————|—————————————————————————|—————————————————————————|
D |—————————————————————————|—————————————————————————|—————————————————————————|—————————————————————————|
A |—2—2—2—2—2—2—2—2—2—2—2—2—|—2—2—2—2—2—2—2—2—2—2—————|—————————————2———————————|—————————————2———————————|
E |—————————————————————————|—————————————————————2—4—|—5———————4—2—————————2—4—|—5———————4—2—————————2—4—|
1 & & 2 & & 3 & & 4 & & 1 & & 2 & & 3 & & 4 & & 1 & & 2 & & 3 & & 4 & & 1 & & 2 & & 3 & & 4 & &

Note that instead of the counter showing the usual 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &, there's an extra & between quarters to indicate triplet 8th feel.

The first two bars consist entirely of triplet 8ths. Three equal-length notes per quarter, in all four quarters of each bar.

The next two bars are also in triplet 8th feel, and each contains instances of three notes in a row, but in each case the third note is longer than the two before it, so they're not considered triplets. You COULD consider making triplets of each 8th beat the note is sustained on, but that would just mean having to write (2) on every empty 8th count and adding a triplet indicator above, and that would just be confusing. Or you could notate each sustained beat as a dotted note, but dotted notes are a whole other (and even MORE confusing) conversation.
Marko1960
Actually Lon it's two eighths and a sixteenth, the F# lands on the fourth count and the G# lands on the + following it, God knows what the G is, the tempo should have been tabbed in 16ths, ie, 1 e + a, 2 e + a etc, I did apologise for any cock up.
A dotted note extends the length of a note by half so a dotted quarter note would ring for three eighth notes

and so on
Marko1960
The triplet in the Bootsy riff is three sixteenths so it should have been tabbed as sixteenths, 1 e + a, the 4 5 and 6 under 1 e + and a sixteenth note rest under the a

Mr Zee has opened a whole can of worms, just remember, groove is in the heart
Marko1960

Sorted
2nick3
Quote:
just remember, groove is in the heart

THIS is why we need a “Like” button on forum posts!

Well played, Marko. Well played, sir.
mr zee
That explains things a bit, not sure I fully understand but I will suss it eventually
Marko1960
Thanks Nick.
I'm not saying Lon is wrong, he was bang on the money, it was a bit confusing the way I tabbed the triplet over two eighth notes when they are actually three sixteenths. The line, ‘groove is in the heart’ is very true, Paul McArtney can't read a single note of music for instance!
mr zee
That makes two of us but I cant play to his standard
IamMark
Do you really think that's still true about McArtney? I know he said that at some earlier point in his career, but I'd have to assume that he's picked some ability to read music by now? He probably can't site read, but I would think he knows what the dots and lines are.

Like how not being able to speak Korean, but after spending a few decades in Seoul you're bound to pick some of it up. Yeah?

Reply to this thread