0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

The final try...

Marko1960
Whatever
mr zee
Quote:
Quote: P.S. Any new bass players out there that wants to experiment with sound. One of my favorites is put on a slight distortion and flange with a 1 second delay. Nice for slow moody songs. And some heavy stuff to boot. Cheers. Can't beat a bit of flange…chortle

By flange did you mean the Bobby's helmet?
Marko1960
Quote:
Quote: Quote: P.S. Any new bass players out there that wants to experiment with sound. One of my favorites is put on a slight distortion and flange with a 1 second delay. Nice for slow moody songs. And some heavy stuff to boot. Cheers. Can't beat a bit of flange…chortle By flange did you mean the Bobby's helmet?
Hahaha, now now Mr Zee
MotorMog
Quote:
Quote: Quote: Quote: P.S. Any new bass players out there that wants to experiment with sound. One of my favorites is put on a slight distortion and flange with a 1 second delay. Nice for slow moody songs. And some heavy stuff to boot. Cheers. Can't beat a bit of flange…chortle By flange did you mean the Bobby's helmet? Hahaha, now now Mr Zee

I think the reference was more Cagney and Lacey than Columbo Mr Zee

Anyone using any dirt , I know Marko doesn't like a clean one

LoudLon [moderator]
This might get me kicked out of the bass player's union, but I prefer using a guitar amp. I turn the bass all the way up, the treble all the way down, and set the gain and overdrive to low to give it a bit of fuzz. Is this because I was too cheap to spring for a bass amp when I made the move from guitar to bass? Yup. But it's also because I dig the thick, muddy tone. Some people prefer a crisp, clean tone. Nothing wrong with that. I prefer mine gritty.
MotorMog
Quote:
This might get me kicked out of the bass player's union, but I prefer using a guitar amp. I turn the bass all the way up, the treble all the way down, and set the gain and overdrive to low to give it a bit of fuzz. Is this because I was too cheap to spring for a bass amp when I made the move from guitar to bass? Yup. But it's also because I dig the thick, muddy tone. Some people prefer a crisp, clean tone. Nothing wrong with that. I prefer mine gritty.

Playing bass through a guitar head with a bass cab can sound pretty cool ,do you not struggle with wattage though in a live setting ???

I'm pushing a 350 watt head through a 2x10 and 1x15 cab set up and am just about keeping up with 2/3 volume on stage against a drummer and two guitars
johnny880
Quote:
Marko - Don't be a dick.johnny880 - Don't be so sensitive.Everyone else - Carry on.
Not being sensitive. There are so many things to learn on the bass and effects are part of it. I just don't dig ignorant people that limit themselves to the possibilities available to them. And choose to shoot down other people. Anything and everything is fair game on the bass. Its up to us to get the sound we want. I like to share ideas with new players. Use them try them. Get ideas. Take what you like and throw the rest away. But don't shoot people down. Its not what we are here for. I am a new bass player too. Its only been a few years now. I think however experimenting with sound is a great part of what you need to learn. Be it phase, flange, distortion, or just a nice clean sound etc. Its endless. And numerous combinations. It all depends on what you are playing and in the end how you want your bass to sound. There are no rights or wrongs. Knocking other players just sends the wrong message to new players. Basically saying don't do that or I am going to laugh at you. Screw that noise. And that's what it is noise. New players out there. Go frigging nuts. Experiment with everything. It will only make you a better player and help develop the sound you want. IMO
johnny880
Quote:
Quote: Quote: Check out Scott's Bass Lessons // I have seen him on youtube. Good bass player but I refuse to pay for bass lessons. There is some great stuff for free on YouTube. “Scott's Bass Lessons” and “Luke from Become A Bassist” are the ones I get the most value from, and I also subscribe to “Lessonface” (not all bass related, but the bass ones are good) and for playing some specific songs “howtoplaybassdotcom” and “CoverSolutions”. Most video lessons are around 15 minutes, which is perfect while I'm eating lunch. Then I try to jam a bit, using what was in the video, then back to work.I'll learn from anywhere I can. And as noted before, I'm frugal (you can call it “cheap” if you want). Value per $ (or £, €, ₹, ₽, or whatever), and value for the time invested, are what matter to me. I will also say the passion that Scott Devine shows in his videos is contagious, so if I'm not feeling like practicing as much watching one of his lessons usually has me reaching for a bass.
I really like CoverSolutions. He is a really good bass player with excellent tabs. I also like a fellow Canadian Constantine Bass on youtube. Check him out.
johnny880
Quote:
I like it that way too. And have heard of bass players going thru guitar amps.
johnny880
I also like what Chris Squire did by converting his Rickenbacker into stereo and playing thru two different amps.

Reply to this thread