0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

New tab ratings: I'm calling bullshit

Marko1960
Quote:
So there are over 40 versions of The White Stripes “7 Nation Army”/“Seven Nation Army” on this site. Most are just about the same, but some of them are utter bollocks. With 5 star ratings. Multiples, in some cases.Now without debating that the line isn't actually played on a bass (baritone guitar), there's really not a need for 40 (40!!) versions of a tab here. Especially on one of the simpler songs you'll ever play. Cleaning up is a completely different problem, but we really need to keep things from getting too much worse.1. No showing a rating until there are 3 ratings on the tab2. List who has Rated the tab. And what their rating was, at least for Admins/Mods3. Require a comment for all ratings, or for none. The current system seems to push 5-star ratings4. Add a ‘Like’ function so people can show support for the Tabber. Or “Kudos”. Which could also be on Forum postings. People with lots of “Kudo” points would show how involved their are in the community (how many would Lon have???). Yes, there would be people who “Kudo” everything to “win,” but they wouldn't be causing any damage to the rating system that way5. Name the submitter on the tab title, along with their Avatar, and the number of ratings. A 5-star, 1 rating tab with a Bieber Avatar would be easy to skip over in favor of one from a known good contributor.That, and a funky groove, will get people dancing. Which the funky groove will do all on its own - shows what my opinion is worth!
Can we not have the Kudos thing, it's an American thing and I'm fed up to the back teeth with Americanisations, nobody in the UK says Kudos and I've had baby showers and school proms and men called guys till I can stands no more!
mr zee
The Police, not just Police; The Offspring, not just Offspring.

Guilty, mi lord.
I'm afraid I've done this with “stranglers” and not “The Stranglers” and a few other tabs.

Should have realised when you tube search's for stranglers returned answers with Boston in and a few others i'd never heard of.
LoudLon [moderator]
It's okay, Zee. The first step is admitting you have a problem. Me, I'm too good-lookin'. It's a struggle, but I'm coping.

Marko – Too much Americanization? There's so much Limey talk in the Beer Garden thread alone that after reading just a couple posts I feel an odd hankering for tea and biscuits, and an overwhelming urge to add superfluous “u”s to words that don't need them.
2nick3
Quote:
Can we not have the Kudos thing, it's an American thing and I'm fed up to the back teeth with Americanisations, nobody in the UK says Kudos and I've had baby showers and school proms and men called guys till I can stands no more!

Americanisation? But, but, but I used the word “bollocks” (and not “bullocks ” ) !!!

“Kudo” was in quotes for a reason - I just missed noting it was a placeholder term. And not necessarily a great one. The idea behind it is to filter off the “I want to click on something to support the person who posted this” effect from the ratings. I think that's some of the driver for all of the 5-star ratings - how else do you explain all 4 of my tabs being 5-star???

I'm at the point where to look for a tab I go to the Users page and check the contributions of the top Submitters for what I want, then do a search if I don't find what I'm looking for there. So from my point of view we need to do something.
Marko1960
Lon, not sure I understand the superfluous ‘Us’, an example please, Nick, aye, Bollocks is very prevalent to my part of the country, “Divven taalk bollocks” for instance is kindly talk sense my good fellow, and Zee, I too am guilty, I've been calling Mark E Smiths band, The The, The, for years.
I hate tea by the way, takes up too much lager space
Marko1960
Could the superfluous ‘Us’ thing be like the American superfluous ‘Rs’ thing? For example, No Doubts, ‘I’m Just a Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl'
mr zee
an odd hankering for tea and biscuits, and an overwhelming urge to add superfluous “u”s to words that don't need them.

i think you'll find, Lon, thats mogs part of the UK. DARN SARTH.

Up north we have normal words that northeners understand. no other f—– can though
Marko1960
Quote:
an odd hankering for tea and biscuits, and an overwhelming urge to add superfluous “u”s to words that don't need them. i think you'll find, Lon, thats mogs part of the UK. DARN SARTH.Up north we have normal words that northeners understand. no other f—– can though
I still don't get it?! Mogs lot are a strange breed, they drink tea from a cap and wash their hands in a bison
mr zee
Know what u mean, they get an all over wash in a barf which I thought was a Beano word for farting
LoudLon [moderator]
Not superfluous “us”. Superfluous “u”s – as in instances of the letter “u” where it's not needed, like in “colour” and “labour.” We spell them “color,” “labor.”

Also, we pronounce it “a-LOO-mih-num,” not “a-loo-MIH-nee-um.”

Silly Brits…

Reply to this thread