0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

New tab ratings: I'm calling bullshit

Marko1960
I see what you mean Lon, maybe there should be a footnote, ‘Only rate tabs if you’re not thick as bulls lugs'
mr zee
Ive had some pm's saying how good some of my tabs are, also how not good some of them are, from people whose first language isn't English and they seem to think by clicking fav's they have rated it. Most people click fav's so they can return to a tab easily. I think the five stars should be made more prominent, all ratings should have a simple comment left by default and you cant favourite a tab until you've accessed it, say three times. To get back to tabs would it be possible, if not already, to create a fav tabber which only the tab reader can see and is not in general view. Just a few ideas which may be useful or could be total bollocks.
mr zee
1 2 3 4, whats next? 5 clart ed. Yorkshire dialect for cloth head. lol
mr zee
ay up just checked the new bass tabs and well, go look, just about all have gone 5star even some of my crappier ones. Is someone extracting to the urine
Marko1960
Quote:
1 2 3 4, whats next? 5 clart ed. Yorkshire dialect for cloth head. lol
I love the Four Yorkshiremen sketch from Python, in fact I'm having a Chateau de Chassily as we speak
A suggestion from a newbie who has done data analysis and reporting for the last 30 years (I did not see these things or similar, and as such, may have missed them if they are actually there):
1 - Add a field with the number of reviews used to come up with the aggregate rating (i.e., rate **** (2 reviews)). This would make a 4(20) worth more than a 5(3)
2 - Make sure that aggregate rating is average not max value
3 - Make contributor status (how long a member, how many contributed, etc) somehow factor in. Weight a rating with something like 1 pt for each month, 2 pt for each submission that has been rated 4/5 over at least 5-10 instances.

Regards,
Sre

Marko1960
One thing I'm seeing a lot on the web when I search for problem solving is a ‘Did You Find This Useful’: YES/NO box at the end. Rate the tab on how many yes's or no's it gets, one point for every yes and one deducted for every no
Marko1960
…or a simple thumbs up thumbs down with the option of just one per user with an optional comments box, Lon, Johnny has already said he's just waiting for the word and he will sort it
mr zee
The thumbs up/down seems like a good idea especially where there is more than one tab for the same song. Some peeps might like a certain version over another and liking a tab doesn't mean its good or bad.
LoudLon [moderator]
It's still going to come down to the user and whether or not they use the rating system as intended. When I started this thread to call BS on only new tabbers having their stuff rated, and everything they submitted instantly getting rated 5 stars within minutes after being posted, what happened? Someone/some people went to the new tabs page and rated every single tab on it 5 stars. It was essentially one big “f*** you.”

We need a rating system so users will know what tabs will be of help and which won't. But none of them are going to be of help if people misuse the rating system and just lazily slap a perfect score on everything.

Reply to this thread