0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

How to solve the versions problem?

Twiggybass
I'm with Lon on this. I'm not all against having multiple versions of songs but the spelling errors, misspelling bands names. It's HIM, not him or Him. I recently worked on the Dark Light album because a lot of the other tabs were in the wrong tuning, wrong key, not correct. The song Rip Out The Wings Of a Butterfly is in the tune of Low B or Standard, Drop D, Drop A ().

I think the best coure of action is to delete or hide the tabs the have zero to 3 stars. That way people can still play other version.

However, If someone puts up a new new tab for “Dark Light” or “Wings of a Butterfly,” there should be a notice. I spent a month on that album so for someone to post another tab for the song, I feel like that's a slap in the face.

Like Lon tabbed 1979 and it plays just fine. It sounds great. So for someone to post ANOTHER tab for the song, that's a slap in the face for Lon. There are several songs Lon has tabbed for me and they always sound good and I learn something new every time. I don't need to see another version fo the same.
Twiggybass
I also think we should cut the zero to 3 tabs out. I saw a version of The Dope Show and tab was hard to read, unclean and a mess. That's why I created a new version when I also noticed the tuning was also wrong. I tabbed the whole album and it sounds really good.
2nick3
Are we talking about ALL low-rated tabs, or just the duplicates? If the only thing here is a 2-star tab, but I need to figure out something to play for a song, it's at least gives me a starting place. I don't have a great ear (zero tabs submitted, and I don't know if that will ever change), but once I'm playing along I can usually figure out what doesn't fit and adjust from there. I won't end up with note-for-note perfect rendition, but I'm playing something that works, which is what I need.

One thing that will help no matter how we proceed is for people to rate the tabs when they use them. If you look at a tab and work on the song from it, take the extra few seconds to rate it. Comments are good, too, as they will help those that look at the tab in the future. Especially if you requested the tab.

Is there a way to add counts for “number of tabs rated” and “number of tabs commented” on our profiles, and have Top 10 lists for those categories along with Forum Posts and Tabs Submitted? The quickest way to get people to do something is to recognize them for it.

The number of ratings submitted on a tab would be good as well. One rating to have the tab at 5-stars isn't as significant as 12 ratings to be at 4.75 stars.

If a tab is getting consistent 1-star ratings it may not be worth keeping at all, but that should probably be part of a different discussion.
IamMark
The problem I see with having some sort of program searching and destroying tabs with a 3 or lower rating makes it way to easy for a-holes who want to torpedo someone's work to be removed from the site.

If it's a new tab, I'd be concerned that someone quickly rates the tab a 1 or 2, and then the next thing you know… the tab is removed.

I would hope there'd be some super nerdy algorithm that considers time, number of evaluators, etc.
LoudLon [moderator]
Johnny could temporarily suspend the ratings function to prevent someone sabotaging someone else's tabs during the removal process (IF it happens to go that route).

Nick – I would say only multiple versions rated 3 or less.
Marko1960
Bollocks to all this, anyone fancy a pint
2nick3
Quote:
Nick – I would say only multiple versions rated 3 or less.

Going back to Bohemian Rhapsody, the only unrated version is yours, Lon, so it would be “safe” as not having been rated. For the rest, there are two fours, a 4.25, a 4.5, a 4.75 and a 5.0. So the system wouldn't help here.

Well, we could get into a full statistical analysis of the rating, requiring at least 12 ratings on the tab (12k registered users, so 0.1% of the population is involved), throwing out the highest and lowest ratings, and computing the mean, median and mode ratings to determine eligibility for removal.

I still like the “nominate to remove” method. It allows the site to be cleaned up without it being a direct/major effort, and the people actually using the tab are the ones who are saying the tab isn't necessary. If I wanted to learn to play The B-52's Rock Lobster I could quickly determine which of the 5 versions (across 2 versions of the band name) are unnecessary and flag them as such.

Quote:
Bollocks to all this, anyone fancy a pint

I believe that's Marko's way of saying we're putting too much thought and effort into this. And a pint (or three) sounds good right about now!
2nick3
What about Moderators for the Tab section, who can delete and rename tabs (including the band name). Johnny decides who he trusts (this is his party, after all) and lets them do cleanup as they see fit.
MotorMog
Binning the duplicates makes sense but I'm all for different interpretations

More often than not I will check out two or three tabs and take the best of those and make them work for me

Marko1960
I'm more worried about Donald Trump getting into the White House, it would be like Hitler burning down the Reichstag all over again!

Reply to this thread