0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

The introductions thread!

Doug64
Hello everyone
I am here because I want to learn to be a bassist. I am a complete and utter beginner. Wish me luck on this journey I have always wanted to take but never did. Any advice will be welcomed.

Doug
LoudLon [moderator]
Hello, and welcome to the low end.

Best advice I can give – learn the basics. Start with uncomplicated songs, learn to keep rhythm and stay in key. And don't forget to learn and practice scales.

Good luck!
Guinny
HI Doug - Welcome to the forum.
DebB
Hi I'm new to Bass as mainly Acoustic guitar…
Can you advise on a bass to purchase I currently have a rather heavy bulky Stagg acoustic bass
Guinny
Hi Deb,

Welcome. There are a bunch of entry level basses out there that are very economical. Squire, Yamaha, Ibanez, SX, OLP, ESP, Washburn, are all companies who make very good quality entry level stuff. You should expect to pay anywhere from $250 - $500 (US) in this category. A Squire Affinity jazz or precision bass should only run you $250. Their VM series basses are great value for the money and would only cost you about $100 more.

If you would like something a bit more substantial I'd recommend looking at the Standard Fender's. The Mexican (MIM) standard sells for about $600 - $700, while the American Standard sells for $1300+. I've played both and I own a MIM and I am very happy with it. In my opinion the $600 difference in cost was not justifiable with the American.

My advice would be to try out as many different basses as you can. You will be surprised at what you come across.

Here is a good video to help you along. Happy hunting, and make sure to come back and tell us all what you end up going with.

Welcome Deb and Doug. Hope you'll enjoy the bass just as much as I do.
mae
Hi everyone, I'm new here. I'm pleased to meet you all
I've been learning bass for about 3 months and absolutely love every minute of it. I should've learned years ago but never quite had the chance until now. I'm a senior student (over 60) but it's never to late to fulfill a dream
LoudLon [moderator]
The only time it's ever too late to do something is when you're dead, so it looks like you juuuuust beat the cut-off.

Welcome to BBT's. Have fun!

Quote:
Hi everyone, I'm new here. I'm pleased to meet you all I've been learning bass for about 3 months and absolutely love every minute of it. I should've learned years ago but never quite had the chance until now. I'm a senior student (over 60) but it's never to late to fulfill a dream
Welcome colleague!!! I started playing the bass at 50.
mae
Thanks for the welcome guys and yes LoudLon, I only just about made it lol !!

Reply to this thread