0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Cort B4 OPN Active Bass

Quote:
With a five string, you get a 4 string bass plus more. You can play it as a four string using the B string as a thumb rest. And when you want or need really low notes, use that B string.I think you should consider a five string. Then you would have both a four string and a five string.Just my opinion. cheers.
That's why I use 5 strings. the E isn't low enough. Need that extra re-enforcement of notes on the B. As for tuning, 5 strings make life way easier.
Quote:
by the way the JUSTIN FUCKIN BEEBER LOOK ALIKE IS NOT ME IN THE PHOTO<and no clue who he is or how the punks photo got there ,PEACE
You can change that.
Hugorj
Do you think that 5 strings bass can affect my velocity on begins?
linkinpark232
Quote:
Quote: With a five string, you get a 4 string bass plus more. You can play it as a four string using the B string as a thumb rest. And when you want or need really low notes, use that B string.I think you should consider a five string. Then you would have both a four string and a five string.Just my opinion. cheers. That's why I use 5 strings. the E isn't low enough. Need that extra re-enforcement of notes on the B. As for tuning, 5 strings make life way easier.

Most stuff I play is only B-D so I just put B-D on my bass. You don't have to have a 5 string
Sidsquishus
Quote:
Do you think that 5 strings bass can affect my velocity on begins?

I don't know what you are asking. I don't understand your question. Can you ask it again using different words?
I think Hugorj is trying to say will it affect his overall fretboard speed. My answer is it will until you get used to it. The hardest part about a 5 string is the transition. Once you get used to the low B. After that, the rest is cake.
Quote:
Most stuff I play is only B-D so I just put B-D on my bass. You don't have to have a 5 string
You make a valid point, but the stuff I play uses B-G. That's why I use a 5 strings. I guess it turns to be a matter of personal preference.
Hugorj
Quote:
I think Hugorj is trying to say will it affect his overall fretboard speed. My answer is it will until you get used to it. The hardest part about a 5 string is the transition. Once you get used to the low B. After that, the rest is cake.

Exactly that!
Sidsquishus
Bassguy1 had the answer. It looks strange and will confuse you at first having the extra string. But then you adjust mentally, and it is like playing any other bass.

My experience was that the extra string was very confusing the first time I tried to play a five string just because there was another string there on the fretboard. Once I made the mental adjustment to it being the same a four string (same tuning, same fretting) plus an extra string, it was not a problem. This adjustment took perhaps two times playing the 5 string. Then it was very much like playing the four string. I don't think your fretting speed will slower at all once you have made the mental adjustment.

There are two real, physical differences that will affect your playing when using a five string: the neck is wider since it has to accommodate 5 strings, and there is one more string to mute. I cannot play some 5 strings well because of the wider neck. My five string has a skinny neck - only a little wider than a four string neck. (My 5 string is 45mm at the nut; a four string jazz neck is 38mm and a precision bass neck is 41-45mm.) I solve the muting issue by using the B string as my thumb rest, instead of a pickup.

Gerr's advice is best - try playing the five string in a store if this is possible. Cheers.
Sidsquishus
I have eight basses, different brands with different pickups and different strings, most four strings, two five strings, bolt on necks, neck-through, solid body, semi-hollow body. Each has it's own sound that makes it different from the others.

I think getting a five string as a second bass will bring more sound options, more versatility, to your playing than a second four string. This is why I think you should consider a five string when you are searching for a second bass.

But the most important thing is what sound you want and what bass will give you that sound.

Reply to this thread