0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Is the bass's difficulty above the kazoo or the drums and kazoo?

linkinpark232
10 years ago
Report this message
Reading Dave Mustaine's autobiography and he mentioned bassists being just above the kazoo and then drummers next, then guitarists, then the singer. What do you think?
mayhem
If he's referring to Megadeth then he is 100% accurate!
linkinpark232
Quote:
If he's referring to Megadeth then he is 100% accurate!

I dunno, David Ellefson is one of the greatest thrash metal bassists. Dave is talking about bassists in general. It's pretty true. I go with it being above the kazoo
LoudLon [moderator]
Eh, Mustaine's always been a whiny blow-hard, so I let it go in one ear and out the other. It goes back to what I was talking about in the in Thrujillo thread when Marilyn Manson came up; judge the art, not the artist. If you like their music, fine; if you don't, fine. Just don't let whether or not you like it be based on whether or not you also like who they are off-stage. If I let Mustaine being an arrogant prick deter me from listening to his music, I'd have missed out on some of the all-time best thrash-and-shred around. Know what I'm saying?
linkinpark232
Quote:
Eh, Mustaine's always been a whiny blow-hard, so I let it go in one ear and out the other. It goes back to what I was talking about in the in Thrujillo thread when Marilyn Manson came up; judge the art, not the artist. If you like their music, fine; if you don't, fine. Just don't let whether or not you like it be based on whether or not you also like who they are off-stage. If I let Mustaine being an arrogant prick deter me from listening to his music, I'd have missed out on some of the all-time best thrash-and-shred around. Know what I'm saying?

Well said. I know exactly what you mean by Dave being that way. The way he says things in his book makes me wonder how great of a person he truly is. Always looked up to him, starting to question it
purplez
Anyone can hit a note like a robot.

But to hit a note with intention and feeling is another thing altogether.

Whether you are playing a kazoo or a church organ, this is the case.
linkinpark232
Quote:
Anyone can hit a note like a robot.But to hit a note with intention and feeling is another thing altogether.Whether you are playing a kazoo or a church organ, this is the case.

Look at it this way: drummers have to use both feet and they literally keep all the rhythm. And guitars, god I hate it sometimes. You have to learn chords and whatnot. Singing isn't that big of a challenge unless you have stage fright. Been singing for like 9 years, easy when you do it forever. On bass you only have to learn fret notes, not chords or dual footing. There's a lot more to it than everything though bass is the easiest
mayhem
Quote:
Anyone can hit a note like a robot.But to hit a note with intention and feeling is another thing altogether.Whether you are playing a kazoo or a church organ, this is the case.
Well said
softcell62
“Reading Dave Mustaine's autobiography and he mentioned bassists being just above the kazoo and then drummers next, then guitarists, then the singer. What do you think?”
It all depends on who the bass player is.
Marko1960
Peoples opinions are exactly that, opinions, you dont have to believe everything a person says, look at George W Bush for Christs sake!
LoudLon [moderator]
What are you talking about? George W. Bush was probably the most shrewd, insightful and BA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA…ah, shit, couldn't even finish that one…

Reply to this thread