0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Tech Guys

IamMark
Quote:
Is it mint condition, are you one of those who looks after his guitars? I have a Strat that's also 29 years old but it's showing its age with a bit of wear on the back of the neck, plus the odd Nick to the body. It came with Gotoh tuners as standard and I swapped them for a set of aged nickel vintage Klusons. I love it

I take care of my instruments, but this bass is a “working bass” now, meaning it's on stage with me making money. Before I was gigging, my instruments were only touched by me and I was very careful with them in my basement. So it still looks like new, but it has nicks and dings in the neck and body from use. The paint and finish is holding up, but the tuners and some hardware are showing their years.
Guinny
Looking for some insight from those tech savvy members.

I am building a Tele bass with the original style guitar body. I would like to use an Obsidian Wire harness for this build, as I have used their p and jazz harnesses and love them.

My question is can I use a guitar harness in a bass? The harnes comes in two specs. 250k + 0.047uf cap and 500k + 0.022uf cap. I'm going to be installing Lace Alumitone split coil p bass pups in the bass, and want to ensure I am not doing anything stupid.
Marko1960
250k with .022 mfd cap. There's little difference between guitar and bass wiring, guitars usually have more pick ups and selector switch, different rated caps and so on, I think Les Pauls use 250k log pots for volume, you will be using 500k audio pot for vol and 250k audio for tone. Are you going to coil tap it? The P bass split pick up is wired as a humbucker so a coil tap can be inserted into the circuit to give an alternative wimpy tone
Quote:
250k with .022 mfd cap. There's little difference between guitar and bass wiring, guitars usually have more pick ups and selector switch, different rated caps and so on, I think Les Pauls use 250k log pots for volume, you will be using 500k audio pot for vol and 250k audio for tone. Are you going to coil tap it? The P bass split pick up is wired as a humbucker so a coil tap can be inserted into the circuit to give an alternative wimpy tone

Agreed
Guinny
I wasn't planning on a coil tap. Something to consider, I suppose…

Thanks for the feedback.
Quote:
I wasn't planning on a coil tap. Something to consider, I suppose… Thanks for the feedback.

Always good to have options
Marko1960
Quote:
I wasn't planning on a coil tap. Something to consider, I suppose… Thanks for the feedback.
No problem. When you say Tele Bass do you mean the Telecaster Bass from 1968 which was just a re-issue of the original 51 to 57 Precision Bass? In 1970 the Telecaster Bass got a new scratchplate then sank without trace not long after. Are you using someone like Warmoth cos they, and Allparts are really expensive, might as well use Fenders online shop
Quote:
Quote: I wasn't planning on a coil tap. Something to consider, I suppose… Thanks for the feedback. No problem. When you say Tele Bass do you mean the Telecaster Bass from 1968 which was just a re-issue of the original 51 to 57 Precision Bass? In 1970 the Telecaster Bass got a new scratchplate then sank without trace not long after. Are you using someone like Warmoth cos they, and Allparts are really expensive, might as well use Fenders online shop

Good point
Guinny
Quote:
Quote: I wasn't planning on a coil tap. Something to consider, I suppose… Thanks for the feedback. No problem. When you say Tele Bass do you mean the Telecaster Bass from 1968 which was just a re-issue of the original 51 to 57 Precision Bass? In 1970 the Telecaster Bass got a new scratchplate then sank without trace not long after. Are you using someone like Warmoth cos they, and Allparts are really expensive, might as well use Fenders online shop

I used a local luthier. The body is identical to that of a tele 6 string. Squire did a version a few years ago.

Marko1960
Nice. I'm getting back to a project I abandoned a few years back. My first bass build used an off the shelf neck whereas my second one was all from scratch. The first one had a Jazz bass neck, rosewood board with m o p block inlays. It sounded better than all the basses I owned at the time which I put down to the through body stringing on a solid ash body. I got bored with it and decided to make it headless, off came the head and I bought a cheap headless bridge and top anchor. I fitted a zero fret and put the top anchor onto the neck only to find that the string spacing at the bridge was too narrow! It's been stood in the corner ever since but now I'm going back to it and filing the bridge to widen the spacing. It's got two MusicMan humbuckers with a battery powered pre amp that gives an overdriven tone. Watch this space

Reply to this thread