0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Tech Guys

Marko1960
Posts: 3139
500k for the volume, 250k each for the tone pots, use Log or Logarithmic pots, it's hard to describe how Linear pots work, it's not just a straightforward mechanical thing and the way they alter the tone is not connected with the way the human ear hears subtle changes, like I said, it's hard to explain. The hi and lo tones will have different value capacitors, just use the existing ones on the new pots
IamMark
Posts: 1103
Copy, thanks Marko.
IamMark
Posts: 1103
So the new pots came in from G&L, and I wired them up just like the original wiring.

Plugged it in, and terrible buzzing out of the two tone pots, and the volume knob is reversed with no zero volume. WTF???
Marko1960
Posts: 3139
Quote:
So the new pots came in from G&L, and I wired them up just like the original wiring.Plugged it in, and terrible buzzing out of the two tone pots, and the volume knob is reversed with no zero volume. WTF???
Sounds like it's wired wrong, were the original pots Log or Lin, and is it the same problem that made you change them in the first place
Marko1960
Posts: 3139
Just checked diagram for the L 1000, you need a 1 meg (1000k) Reverse Audio pot for the vol and two 250k audio pots for the tone, sorry, I assumed Leo used the same components as the Precision, Jazz, Mustang etc, what a dingbat, (me, not Leo) try the G&L online shop.Reverse taper audio pot that is
Marko1960
Posts: 3139
…also just noticed you got them from G&L, are they direct replacements for your bass?
IamMark
Posts: 1103
Quote:
…also just noticed you got them from G&L, are they direct replacements for your bass?
G&L no longer makes the Pots that were original to my year's bass. When I contacted them, they only told me about the 250k pots. But I ordered 2 250s and 1 500k, because what you said about 500k for the volume made sense to me.

But that doesn't appear to be the case on this bass. Only one of the original pots had 250k stamped on the metal case. Coincidentally, it was the pot that was giving me the trouble to begin with.

I went back in today and replaced the 500k pot I put in for the volume with the original 250k pot, and voila. All fixed.

What a pain in the ass that was.

Good thing I didn't throw away the old Pots.

Now I have a 500k pot lying around.
IamMark
Posts: 1103
Also, the new pots are slightly shorter, so I wasn't able to use the washers between the nut and the bass body. I only tightened the hex nut finger tight to avoid scratching the bass paint.
Marko1960
Posts: 3139
Phew, Alls well then
Marko1960
Posts: 3139
Quote:
Also, the new pots are slightly shorter, so I wasn't able to use the washers between the nut and the bass body. I only tightened the hex nut finger tight to avoid scratching the bass paint.
Is it mint condition, are you one of those who looks after his guitars? I have a Strat that's also 29 years old but it's showing its age with a bit of wear on the back of the neck, plus the odd Nick to the body. It came with Gotoh tuners as standard and I swapped them for a set of aged nickel vintage Klusons. I love it

Reply to this thread