0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Tech Guys

Marko1960
LinkinPark, Sids absolutely spot on, it's the potentiometer that's noisey, and to be honest I'm shocked that Epiphone have used sub standard potentiometers. The quick fix as Sid States is Pot Spray from your electronics store. Flip the bass over and remove the control cover, carefully pull the knob off the offending tone pot, there may be a grub screw on the side of the knob, then undo the nut that's holding the pot in place. Now carefully, without disturbing the wires, free up the pot so you can turn it round. If there are two small holes at the top edge of the pot spray the pot spray into these, if not you will have to spray down the shaft and into the pot, and to quote Haynes Car Manuals, “Re-fitting is a reversal of removal”
linkinpark232
Could I just use WD40? Lol
Marko1960
Quote:
Could I just use WD40? Lol
That's a good question and to be honest I'm not sure, it's possible that it might insulate the plates inside the pot and therefore kill the signal altogether, it's best to put up with the noise until you can get some pot spray, better safe than sorry
Sidsquishus
I agree with Marko - don't use WD40. This isn't a lubrication problem, it is one of electrical connectivity. My guess is that contact cleaner is alcohol-based, or designed to volatilize without leaving a residue. WD40 and other lubricants are designed to leave a residue to lubricate moving parts. That would likely impair rather than improve the flow of electricity.

Get the right stuff. Don't ruin your pot with WD40. (pun intended)
johnny [staff]
I use WD-40 on mine all the time and it works like a charm. I didn't know it was detrmiental
Marko1960
Quote:
I have a question if you can answer it. Is it possible to change one of the pickups of my ibanez SR-300 to a jazz pickup? Both the pickups are precision but my fathet has a modded ibanez with 1 precision and 1 jazz, just interested if thats possible for mine too.
I've been thinking about what you said, not many people know that the P Bass pickup is a Humbucker, and that's the way Leo wanted it to be seeing as Seth Lovers patent hadn't expired when Leo made he's pickup. So what I was thinking was to coil tap your bridge pickup instead of fitting a single coil Jazz pickup. What is coil tapping? Well, a Humbucker has two coils and the poles of both are fitted to oppose each other and one coil has a clockwise winding and the other an anti clockwise winding, coil tapping incorporates a switch so you can turn one of the coils off, thus giving you a single coil. However, because Leo was trying to keep it secret, his Humbucker isn't straightforward. I'll look further into this and try and come up with a wiring diagram for you
Sidsquishus
Quote:
I use WD-40 on mine all the time and it works like a charm. I didn't know it was detrmiental

Well, then, I stand corrected. Still, I would use contact cleaner rather than WD40.
Marko1960
My Peavey TNT 150 will be 40 next year and the pots are silent in operation and I never use pot spray on them, I guess they don't make em like they used to
Marko1960
Sid, should we change this thread to Tech Guys, lol
Quote:
Yeah you're probably right, MusicMan tend to use Ash a lot which isn't very light but have you ever played a Rickenbacker 4001? They are made from Maple and weigh a ton! Speaking of Ibanez, my lead guitarist owns an Ibanez Jem that once belonged to Steve Vai, he paid £10,000 for it!!!
Rickenbackers are really heavy, but they sound great. Also Warwick basses. I think they are made of Hickory. They have a kick ass tone, but they are way to heavy for comfort.

Reply to this thread