0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Tech Guys

Sidsquishus
Quote:
Sid, should we change this thread to Tech Guys, lol

No. It's you from here on out, mate. The limits of my skills have already been exceeded!
Sidsquishus
Hey Tech Guy,
I saw that you were talking with EMG on your contra bass design. I would like to replace the cheap, noisy, Chinese-made pots and the EQ in an Ibanez. It has EMG HZ pickups, so maybe I should talk with EMG about this?

I would be replacing a master vol, a balance, treble, mid, and bass and the EQ. Your thoughts and advice are welcomed. Cheers.
Marko1960
Check out EMGs BTC control pots, they're the business and they work with any pick up, active or passive and retail around $80 which includes two volume pots, output jack and battery clip. They have four programmable settings for high end response and are easy to fit, with full instructions. I love EMGs, they're like 100 Hornets in a pan of warm milk
Sidsquishus
Thanks will do. Nothing I like more with my warm milk than 100 hornets!
Marko1960
They give the milk a real BUZZ, sorry, if I don't do those ones I'll lose my Comedy Card
Sidsquishus
Tech Guy, it looks like I want the EMG BQS system. The bass I'm working on has five holes in the top: vol, balance (for 2 EMG HZ soapbar pickups), bass, mid, and treble. The BTC has four pots; the BQS five.

It (BQS) is available as either passive or active. Presently the bass is an active bass. Do you know if I could use the the passive BQS with the stock EMG HZ pickups? (I don't like having to replacing the battery every other time I pick up the bass.)

Thanks.
purplez

Edit,, its ok my ingorance was the problem.
Marko1960
Quote:
Tech Guy, it looks like I want the EMG BQS system. The bass I'm working on has five holes in the top: vol, balance (for 2 EMG HZ soapbar pickups), bass, mid, and treble. The BTC has four pots; the BQS five.It (BQS) is available as either passive or active. Presently the bass is an active bass. Do you know if I could use the the passive BQS with the stock EMG HZ pickups? (I don't like having to replacing the battery every other time I pick up the bass.)Thanks.
Yeah that would be ok but the range of boost would be reduced without the battery
Marko1960
Quote:
One of my tone controls is acting like a volume control..the neck pickup is fine its the bridge one..its a cheap stagg bass I got off ebay.Any ideas on what to do? Should I take it to a shop and how much would I expect to pay?Or can I do anything myself?thx
It wouldn't be an expensive shop repair to have a pot replaced, probably around £25 ($32) but if you are handy with a soldering iron have a go yourself. You will need a 250k Log pot and you may as well change the capacitor while you are at it, you will get change from £3 for both. The log pot is the one to go for, the other type is the linear pot but the log pot is more gradual in operation. When you look at the pots from behind (I'm assuming you have two vols and two tones) there should be a capacitor linking one of the outer tabs on the volume pot to the centre tab on the tone pot, (take a photo for reference) and one of the end tabs on the tone will be turned up and soldered to the body of the pot. Make sure you have nice shiny solder joints, dull joints are usually dry and won't make contact
Marko1960
By the way Sid, these active EMG systems hardly use any battery power, I've had the same battery in my active bass for about a year now with no sign of it giving up yet

Reply to this thread