0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Original Riffs Page

Marko1960
my crap iPad doesn't have symbols for bends, maybe we should ask Johnny for some notation symbols including quarter note and eighth note rests, bends, slap, pop etc
2nick3
Slides use the appropriate slash - / for up, \ for down. Bends use the ^. Hammer-ons and pull-offs are h and p. You can indicate note duration above the line as well:

Tabs:
s q q s
G|————————————————|————————————————|
D|————————————————|————————————————|
A|————————————————|————————————————|
E|8\\\3———4h5p3———|3^——4^——5///8———|
1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4

All stuff I've picked up from reading other tabs - mostly Lon's, as I find the way he notates to be easy for me to follow.
Marko1960
Hammer Atack is HA then and Release Bend would be R>
Marko1960
Quote:
Slides use the appropriate slash - / for up, \ for down. Bends use the ^. Hammer-ons and pull-offs are h and p. You can indicate note duration above the line as well: Tabs: s q q sG|————————————————|————————————————|D|————————————————|————————————————|A|————————————————|————————————————|E|8\\\3———4h5p3———|3^——4^——5///8———| 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 All stuff I've picked up from reading other tabs - mostly Lon's, as I find the way he notates to be easy for me to follow.
Is that start on the C then three sixteenth note slides then on to the G?
2nick3
Quote:
Is that start on the C then three sixteenth note slides then on to the G?

It's sliding down over the interval. Start with the C on 1 and end on the G on 2.
Marko1960
So a Single / will do
2nick3
Yes, I guess spaced between the two notes evenly would be more clear. I can see how what I have there would represent 3 slides, and open the question if they are all from C to G.
Marko1960
I just thought the three slides was confusing the issue and people might have confused it for three instead of one, the symbol is there to show what technique is used to get from the C to the G. There are symbols used in standard notation for different techniques, rests etc that could be adapted to tabs, as I've said before, if you don't know the song then the tab isn't going to give an accurate representation
johnny880
Tabs:
G|--------------------------------------|
D|--------------------------------------|
A|-----5h6h7-7-5-----------------------------|
E|---5-----------------------------------|
Thanks guys. So this riff I am working on. I play 5 and then 5 hammering on to the 6 and 7. Is this a hammer on or pull off. I really don't know. I play the 5h6h7 as a triplet fast. The only notes I pluck are the 5 and then 5, hammering onto 6 and 7. I don't pluck the 6 or 7 and then pause 1 second and then pluck 7,5 And then I move onto the rest of the riff. So I really don't pull off after the hammer ons. I pause and then play the 7 and 5. So is this still a hammer on pull off. I don't know how to tab it. I think I got it right. Do I need to some how tab it as a triplet. Confused. Like I said I suck at tabs. I am better at making music than tabbing it. But I will learn. Please bare with me for asking these questions I need to know if I am going to tab some riffs of mine. I don't play and come up with music by the rules so some is kind of complicated for me to tab, and as far as I am concerned there aren't any rules if it sounds good. But i can sure use your help if you have help to spare in the tabbing department. Thanks.
2nick3
What is sounds like you're trying to describe is one of these two measures. I've seen triplets marked with the double & below the line or the |—3—| above it:

Tabs:
. |—3—|
G|————————————————|—————————————————————————|
D|————————————————|—————————————————————————|
A|————5h6h7———7—5—|——————5h6h7—7—————5——————|
E|5———————————————|5————————————————————————|
1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 1 & & 2 & & 3 & & 4 & &

You don't indicate if the E is on 3 or 4, so I tabbed it out both ways. The first measure it isn't a triplet, just playing the Eb on the & of 2.

If you aren't doing a pull-off then it's not a pull-off. Just a hammer-on. They are two different things, sometimes combined, but not always. You pretty much have to be going to a lower note to do a pull-off - see Led Zeppelin's Black Dog for a great example of how they work together.

The only way to get good at something you aren't good at is to do it.

Reply to this thread