0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Curious

2nick3
There are a lot of good, free, lessons on Youtube. A couple of subscriptions I have are:

https://www.youtube.com/user/devinebass
https://www.youtube.com/user/BecomeABassist
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGyPWBc1GFIxRaoWrfR_vRA

No, you don't get the interaction and feedback you would with a live instructor, but you do get someone directing you in what to do. Most people, when left on their own, will not push themselves to their maximum potential. Having some form of structure that is motivating you to stretch your abilities helps counter that tendency.

For me, paying money for the lessons also keeps me motivated. I won't say I'm cheap, I call it frugal, so I don't want to waste the money I've paid on lessons by not doing the work to be ready for them.

Whatever works for you, what helps you become the player you want to be, is what you need to be doing.
IamMark
Quote:
Thanks everyone for your input. I wanted to know because I am at the point where I think I am starting to play with a understanding of what I am actually doing and able to play tunes that come into my head. However I see bass players on youtube and I feel I am missing something. I think 6 months of lessons going over what I know and what I don't know and where that person could take me wouldn't hurt. Comes down to the money thing. 25 a half hour they charge here in Canada. If I wasn't on disability for a forklift neck injury I could have done that. Maybe one day I will win the lotto. P.S that's why a short scale comes in handy when the nerves in your arm and hand don't work like they are f##king supposed too. Thanks again.
It never hurts to learn from someone else.

Neil Peart even takes lessons to learn new things.
johnny880
Quote:
There are a lot of good, free, lessons on Youtube. A couple of subscriptions I have are:https://www.youtube.com/user/devinebasshttps://www.youtube.com/user/BecomeABassisthttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGyPWBc1GFIxRaoWrfR_vRANo, you don't get the interaction and feedback you would with a live instructor, but you do get someone directing you in what to do. Most people, when left on their own, will not push themselves to their maximum potential. Having some form of structure that is motivating you to stretch your abilities helps counter that tendency.For me, paying money for the lessons also keeps me motivated. I won't say I'm cheap, I call it frugal, so I don't want to waste the money I've paid on lessons by not doing the work to be ready for them.Whatever works for you, what helps you become the player you want to be, is what you need to be doing.
Thank you for the links Nick. Whatever works for you. What helps you become the player you want to be. Is what you need to be doing. That is possibly THE BEST quote I have heard from anyone. I am doing what I need to do. I like my sound, I like what I write, I like the mood of what I write and how I play the strings. Everything fascinates me. Something will pop up and I usually go, where did that come from. And then I will play it over and over again so I don't forget it in the morning. I just thought perhaps I was missing something not taking lessons. You made me feel a lot better about how I am going about things.
johnny880
Quote:
Quote: Thanks everyone for your input. I wanted to know because I am at the point where I think I am starting to play with a understanding of what I am actually doing and able to play tunes that come into my head. However I see bass players on youtube and I feel I am missing something. I think 6 months of lessons going over what I know and what I don't know and where that person could take me wouldn't hurt. Comes down to the money thing. 25 a half hour they charge here in Canada. If I wasn't on disability for a forklift neck injury I could have done that. Maybe one day I will win the lotto. P.S that's why a short scale comes in handy when the nerves in your arm and hand don't work like they are f##king supposed too. Thanks again. It never hurts to learn from someone else.Neil Peart even takes lessons to learn new things.
I heard Adam Clayton is actually taking bass lessons now too !
Marko1960
Which bass player inspires you the most? I always thought that if I can't play like Geddy Lee then I'm nothing, but that's just not true and thinking like that gets in the way of your progress
johnny880
Chris Squire. Hands down for me Marko. I don't know what else to say. I appreciate all those other faster than light speed bass players. I just like the mood and grind he put into YES. His crazy and unorthodox time signatures in that era of rock music is hard to come by even today. And a lot of the rock bass players today that are playing more challenging music on there bass I think were directly influenced by him. He was way ahead of the groove for what was going on in rock music back then. The guy never missed a gig from the time he formed Yes with Jon Anderson in 1968. Until the day he died. That's a lot of concerts and dedication into what you are doing. I think anyhow.
johnny880
P.S. YES was a big influence on Geddy Lee. I am not sure the direction RUSH would have taken if there hadn't been a YES band. I am sure it would have been great because they are all so very talented. I just think it might have been a different sounding RUSH.
johnny880
Also that's why I keep requesting Arriving UFO by YES. I keep hoping someone will have tabs for it or know how to play it. I saw one guy play it on youtube. The only one. I couldn't figure out the riffs. Blew me away. Not even one of my favorite YES bass tunes until I saw him play it. Now I am not giving up until I get tabs for that tune. I asked Mr Zee. The gentlemen that he is didn't want to work on it. He has enough going on. But if there is anyone else out there that wants to figure that bass run out for me, and you will know which one I am talking about when and if you hear this guy play it. I will bow to your excellence and have nothing but good things to say about you from this day forward and salute you with every first sip of beer I take !
Marko1960
I'll have a listen but take note, I was into Punk in the 70s and Prog Rock is the absolute antithesis of Punk and I have very little time for it, the only thing it's good for is curing insomniacs
Marko1960
…sorry but now I've got 30 seconds of it in my head and once you've heard something you can't un-hear it, thanks a bunch. Luckily my tinnitus is keeping it in the background!

Reply to this thread