0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Curious

Marko1960
Sorry if that was brutally frank but if Punk hadn't come along and stopped Prog in its tracks we wouldn't be on this site learning an instrument, we'd all be in music college on a ten year course.
johnny880
Quote:
Sorry if that was brutally frank but if Punk hadn't come along and stopped Prog in its tracks we wouldn't be on this site learning an instrument, we'd all be in music college on a ten year course.
Sorry Marko I only go on the computer every few days. Prog rock never stopped actually. YES is still together love or hate the format. I tend to hate it, but there it is. No music actually ever stops in its tracks. That's naïve. Punk is there, Disco is there, Prog is there, Jazz is there, Classical is there. They are all there. Once written in the universe it is there and will always be there. You cant get rid of it no matter how distasteful the music may be to you. I had said it isn't the song I like because it is one of my least favorites from the band. It is the bass run that he does that I wanted to learn, not the song. I want to know what he is playing in that run. I mentioned before I like to dissect other bass players riffs, learn them and work it into my own thing and become a better player by taking on challenging riffs. Limiting yourself to one type of music is, how do I say it, LIMITING. I listen to every thing. Even shit I don't like. Not for the music, but for the bass. If the bass is god damn good I will go for it regardless of where it came from. Sorry if that was brutally frank.
Marko1960
Ok then, we'll check out Carlos Denglers basslines on the Turn on the Bright Lights album by Interpol, they're like nothing you've heard before
johnny880
Quote:
Ok then, we'll check out Carlos Denglers basslines on the Turn on the Bright Lights album by Interpol, they're like nothing you've heard before
Its ok Marko. One day I will. I wrote that down. But I was asking for help on a Chris Squire riff not looking for more. I am not challenging you to some sort of riff off here. My previous statement was basically to let you know how I go about my playing. And I like it that way. And that all these other types of music out there are not redundant. I have said this before and I will say it again. I don't play to many songs from other people. I take riffs I learn from other songs. I take blues riffs that I have learned, scales, exercises. Bits and pieces here and there, that sort of thing and just turn it into my own thing. You would be surprised what you can do with those bits and pieces. That really turns me on. Making my own music. It is the best thing in the world playing something that you wrote that know one else in the universe has heard or played but you.
johnny880
Just finished getting my ass kicked in online backgammon and winning one or two. Off to bed. Nice talking to you Marko. Talk at you later. I don't spend to much time on here. So will be back in a day or two. Or three. Depending on whats going on.
Quote:
Just finished getting my ass kicked in online backgammon and winning one or two. Off to bed. Nice talking to you Marko. Talk at you later. I don't spend to much time on here. So will be back in a day or two. Or three. Depending on whats going on.

See you then
Quote:
Quote:
Quote: Sorry if that was brutally frank but if Punk hadn't come along and stopped Prog in its tracks we wouldn't be on this site learning an instrument, we'd all be in music college on a ten year course. Sorry Marko I only go on the computer every few days. Prog rock never stopped actually. YES is still together love or hate the format. I tend to hate it, but there it is. No music actually ever stops in its tracks. That's naïve. Punk is there, Disco is there, Prog is there, Jazz is there, Classical is there. They are all there. Once written in the universe it is there and will always be there. You cant get rid of it no matter how distasteful the music may be to you. I had said it isn't the song I like because it is one of my least favorites from the band. It is the bass run that he does that I wanted to learn, not the song. I want to know what he is playing in that run. I mentioned before I like to dissect other bass players riffs, learn them and work it into my own thing and become a better player by taking on challenging riffs. Limiting yourself to one type of music is, how do I say it, LIMITING. I listen to every thing. Even shit I don't like. Not for the music, but for the bass. If the bass is god damn good I will go for it regardless of where it came from. Sorry if that was brutally frank.

Very true

Reply to this thread