I HATE MY FENDER JAZZ

mr zee
Double $, looking good.
Marko1960
How does it compare to the G&L? Leo started G&L after falling out with MusicMan
IamMark
Quote:
How does it compare to the G&L? Leo started G&L after falling out with MusicMan
As far as feel goes, they are very similar. The Stingray is slightly lighter in weight. The Stingray neck is much smoother, but that's because the new Stingray is a roasted maple neck with an oil finish, compared to the G&L maple neck that has a poly finish, which can feel a little tacky at times, when my hands get a little sweaty. So the Stingray neck is extremely fast, and slightly thinner than the G&L.

Fingerboards are apples and oranges. The Stingray is a maple fingerboard, the G&L is a rosewood. So there's definite differences in feel and tone from the two. Fret height is very similar, and both basses have really low and comfortable action heights.

String spacing if very similar, so to go from one bass to the other is very easy and natural.

The G&L is a little longer in total length compared to the Stingray. Scale length is the same, but the head stock on the Sting ray is considerably smaller, which is playing with my eyes right now. I'm used to looking down the neck and seeing quite a bit of real estate, but the Stingray neck looks (and feels) a little shorter. It's playing a mind game with me right now, and I'm sure I'll get used to it.

The big difference is tone. The Stingray has so many tone options with those two beefy humbuckers and the 5-way switch. The 3-level eq provides so much range to work with. And the active system of the Stingray makes everything so much brighter than my passive G&L.

I really chose wisely here. I'm now able to use both in my live performances, where I down tune my G&L a half-step down. The tone of my G&L is a little more on the low-end, beefy tone, so the songs we play half-step down really sound thick and heavy. The Stingray is my standard tuning bass now, and the brightness and tone control I have with it is better suited for the 80% of our set list that's in standard tuning.

I'm really happy with this purchase.

Only problem is that it shipped with a broken batter case cap. A small piece of plastic that holds the clip to keep the battery in place broke. Must have broken when the tech installed the battery. I've already called the retailer and they are sending me a new cap.
Marko1960
Good to hear it's a match for the G&L, they're well known for their quality, especially the ones built when Leo was still alive, which yours is isn't it? My Stingray is a cheaper Ernie Ball licensed version which was replaced by the SUB but it still rocks, it has the capstan wheel truss rod adjuster like it's more expensive cousins, it's got a really low action but the neck is quite chunky with a big C profile and it took a bit of getting used to. The pick up was wired as two single coils but I re wired it to a humbucker and the difference was amazing

I'm jealous of course
IamMark
No mine is not a Leo-era Stingray. This is the new 2018 stingray Special. New design, hardware, electronics, and materials.
Marko1960
Quote:
No mine is not a Leo-era Stingray. This is the new 2018 stingray Special. New design, hardware, electronics, and materials.
No, the G&L I mean
IamMark
Quote:
No, the G&L I mean
Oh, yes. My L-1000 is one of the first with the modified head stock. I believe Leo died a couple years after my series was produced.

Reply to this thread