0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Jackson or Music Man?

IamMark
I've made several rants about the guitarist I play with using a capo all the damn time, and different tunings.

I have learned most of his play list in standard tuning, even when he's a half-step down. but some songs I can't get around and need the low Eb. So I end up having to down tune during our second set. We usually get into a pattern of 2 or 3 songs in Eb tuning, then I need to up tune to standard for a few songs, then someone requests something that requires me to down tune again. Pretty aggravating cycle for me.

I'm contemplating either buying another bass just to have one in standard tuning, and one half-step down. But then I thought… ‘why not just get a capo’ for the first fret for my standard tuning songs, then remove the capo for the half-step down.

I feel like a hypocrite for even having these thoughts, because I absolutely hate capos. But it seems like a quick solution for me.
2nick3
Quote:
I feel like a hypocrite for even having these thoughts, because I absolutely hate capos. But it seems like a quick solution for me.

What about a HipShot Bass Xtender? Quick switch down a half or whole step, quick switch back. One of the other bassists at my church uses one and loves it.
IamMark
Quote:
What about a HipShot Bass Xtender? Quick switch down a half or whole step, quick switch back. One of the other bassists at my church uses one and loves it.
I can only find whole-step extenders E to D. I need half-step. And it looks like it would cost me about $250 to replace all four.
Marko1960
Get a capo
2nick3
Quote:
I can only find whole-step extenders E to D. I need half-step. And it looks like it would cost me about $250 to replace all four.

The one I've seen was setup for a half step, on a Fender Geddy Lee Jazz, and was just on the E string to take it to Eb. The player said he could also set it up to get to D by adjusting the Xtender.

I've started thinking about how you could make a bridge that would do the same thing, and would do all 4(/5/6) strings at once.
Marko1960
The capo is the quickest cheapest simplest option but if you have a super fine ear you will notice a tiny trade off in sustain and intonation, I wouldn't, I couldn't hear a dump truck running out of control in a nitro glycerine plant!
Ok, I'm new to the forum but I have to chime in and agree with the bass extender. The adjustable screw allows you to do a multitude of tunings. I have them on almost all my basses.
Marko1960
Why not tune the bass down half a step and move all the standard tuned songs up one fret? and back down for the de tuned songs

…bosh
IamMark
Quote:
Why not tune the bass down half a step and move all the standard tuned songs up one fret? and back down for the de tuned songs…bosh
That seems very sensible. I've thought about that, and probably could pull it off, because I try to learn songs without playing open strings, except for the E string.

May take a little bit of work to adjust and re-train my muscle memory.
Marko1960
Quote:
Quote: Why not tune the bass down half a step and move all the standard tuned songs up one fret? and back down for the de tuned songs…bosh That seems very sensible. I've thought about that, and probably could pull it off, because I try to learn songs without playing open strings, except for the E string.May take a little bit of work to adjust and re-train my muscle memory.
Like you said you avoid open strings anyway so I can't see a problem, where you played on the dots you now play between them. Bosh

Reply to this thread