0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Considering getting a new bass

MotorMog
Whilst I'd most definitely like to have a nice top of the range instrument I know it's not for me.
I don't have the skills to make a pro level bass sound any better than an entry level so I'm kind of halfway.
something half decent will stay in tune long enough to give you a fighting chance of making some agreeable noise without worrying about getting a ding or two on the way.

One day i might just get that fender elite p though
Goll65
Try a Steinberger. real small body, no headstock, its about as small as you can get for a bass, and really easy to play. I bought a 5 string a few yrs back for around $500 new and I love it. The Hohner knockoffs are also good.
Airhorn
Going to GC to pick up a bass in a few days….. can get more bass for the price than the Ibanez GSR200? I don't feel like trying out every bass in the store & my $ is limited. My bud keeps telling me to get a squire.
IamMark
Quote:
Going to GC to pick up a bass in a few days….. can get more bass for the price than the Ibanez GSR200? I don't feel like trying out every bass in the store & my $ is limited. My bud keeps telling me to get a squire.
In my opinion, you're talking apples and oranges here. You really need to play both. Depending on your style of play, either one will affect your playing.

The Squire P basses are good. Not as good as they were in the late 80s/early 90s. I think the MIM Fenders are slightly better than today's Squires. But a couple hundred more expensive too.

Both the Squire P Bass and the GSR200 are great entry level basses. For the money, you'll get a lot of use out of either, but you really need to play both. Pumping money into either one won't really imp[rove it too much. Sure better quality pickups might make it sound better, but won't really increase the value, and after spending the money for good pick ups (on top of what you're going to pay for the GSR200 or Squire) you'd have been better off buying a higher-priced bass to begin with. I think the Ibanez has a faster neck, but the Squire will feel heavier and more solid. I personally like the fatter neck and growl of the pickups of the Squire P Bass.
Marko1960
Quote:
Try a Steinberger. real small body, no headstock, its about as small as you can get for a bass, and really easy to play. I bought a 5 string a few yrs back for around $500 new and I love it. The Hohner knockoffs are also good.
The Hohners weren't knock offs, Ned Steinberger licensed Hohner in Japan to build a high quality ‘copy’ to beat the counterfeiters before they had a chance, trouble is he shot himself in the foot as the Hohners had to be wood to keep the costs down and the solid maple construction had a warm tone wood sound as opposed to the lack of input coming from the carbon graphite of the original. I had a Hohner version back in the 80s and I loved it, I want another but early ones are in short supply and prices are through the roof
Airhorn
Quote:
Quote: I think the Ibanez has a faster neck, but the Squire will feel heavier and more solid. I personally like the fatter neck and growl of the pickups of the Squire P Bass.
Thats what i was thinking as as well when i tried them. will try them out again befor buying. Thanks
Airhorn
I've been looking at the reviews vintage modified jaguar special and apparently it's a serious tone machine. haven't tried it though. Worth it?
Marko1960
Quote:
I've been looking at the reviews vintage modified jaguar special and apparently it's a serious tone machine. haven't tried it though. Worth it?
I've got a Jaguar short scale, basic P/J to be honest but loads of fun to play
Just know that an experienced bassist can pick up almost any bass and make it sound good. When you get to a point in your playing that you can recognize the subtle nuances that you like or don't like, then it's time to spend money. I started on an Ibanez 200 series bass. Absolutely loved it. 20 years later, I sometimes pick it up and jam on it. There's no right or wrong when choosing your bass, there's only what works for you. Rock on!
Goll65
Quote:
Quote: Try a Steinberger. real small body, no headstock, its about as small as you can get for a bass, and really easy to play. I bought a 5 string a few yrs back for around $500 new and I love it. The Hohner knockoffs are also good. The Hohners weren't knock offs, Ned Steinberger licensed Hohner in Japan to build a high quality ‘copy’ to beat the counterfeiters before they had a chance, trouble is he shot himself in the foot as the Hohners had to be wood to keep the costs down and the solid maple construction had a warm tone wood sound as opposed to the lack of input coming from the carbon graphite of the original. I had a Hohner version back in the 80s and I loved it, I want another but early ones are in short supply and prices are through the roof

Thanks for the info. I have a hohner 4 string and really like it that's why I went with the steinberger when I was looking for a 5 string.

Reply to this thread