0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Who grew up in the 80's?

Marko1960
The media presents the 80's as yuppies and girls dancing in puffball skirts, but that was just maybe 2 years of the 80's. .Mostly it felt a pretty desolate time, more the smiths than sade

It was an awful time, the town where I live used to ship coal down the coast from the South Durham pits, Maggie Thatcher wiped out whole communities, seeing people fight for their right to put food on the table and the police beating them with truncheons, then seeing Duran Duran making videos on million dollar yachts in the Caribbean put me off them for life. The film, ‘Billy Elliot’ was filmed about ten miles up the road from me and I was amazed at how realistic it was, The Smiths were about the only good thing to come out of it so dont talk to me about what a great decade it was…it was crap
LoudLon [moderator]
It was a great decade here in the states, at any rate. Can't speak for anywhere else in the world. Not because I didn't care, but because I was a teenager, and like most teenagers (at least back then, before the internet) all I knew of the world was what I heard on the radio, saw on TV or saw from my own yard. And everything I saw in the ‘80s was bright and fun and colorful (a couple government scandals aside) so I have nothing but great memories of that decade.

I’m genuinely sorry not everyone can say the same but hey, the states has sucked for the last decade and a half, if that makes anyone feel better.
IamMark
I was born in 72. My “coming of age” years were in the 80s. I always thought the 80s was the decade of excess. Everything was over the top: fashion, attitude, capitalism, drugs.

I was too young to really experience the early 80s, but the mid-80s for music was a weird scene. All the anti-disco had died off and hair bands were coming to the forefront.

The end of the decade was a bit of an abortion if you ask me. Hair bands were immediately mocked by the Seattle scene, and hip hop was not my thing. The late 80s unfortunately also gave us something we can never get rid of… boy bands. Ugh.

I started taking an interest in bass in the late 80s. I immediately was motivated/influenced by a wide range of musicians and bands. From Maiden and Zeppelin (my rebellion against my family), to the Beatles (my cousins got me into them), to Steve Miller Band, to some Hair bands like Bon Jovi, Winger (yes, I listened to Winger) and Blue Murder.

I even had spiked hair in the mid-80s.

I was cool like that.
Sidsquishus
I'm in my mid-80s and have spiked hair.
I was just getting into music when the 80's hit. It was hugely influential. Hair bands to pop.
mr zee
I was born in 1958 and as yet, like a lot of you guys haen't grown up and my musical likes are from the glam rock era of the mid seventies until the present day. I used to like listening to my ma,s Glenn Miller albums on a sunday whilst trying to get rid of an hangover, but yeah glam rock, punk rock and hard rock were the sounds of the 70s and 80s that I grew up with but I like all sorts f music from Abba to Crass, motorhead and OMD.
Guinny
Like IamMark I was also born in ‘72.

I remember being happy enough. The post punk movement was in full force for the first half of the decade. I remember going to the Police Picnic and a ticket only being $15! I remember seeing The Clash, PIL, Echo and The Bunnymen, Psychedelic Furs, The Cure, The Cult and The Mission all in small venues.

Then came the discovery of Joy Division’s Closer…
mr zee
I'm in late 50s and bald as a badger
I was born in 1960. So I clearly didn't grow up in the 80's. Most musicians never grow up. In 1981 I served the army, which was compulsory back then. In ‘82 I started my career at the company I’m still working for. In the 80's I went to see many hard rock bands, like Iron Maiden, Kiss, Motörhead, Deep Purple and others. For me it was a good decade. I made progress, bought a house and saw a lot of the world.
Marko1960
Back in the 80s I started trying to upload photos onto Big Bass Tabs, they say, “God loves a tryer”, so I'm still trying

Reply to this thread