0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

ANYONE PLAYED A 12 STRING BASS?

Leiria
WTF indeed… How do you even fret the low notes?
IamMark
Quote:
Absolutely not, what's that he's holding?
In some cultures that would be considered a canoe.
In the comments he says all those strings put about 980 lbs of tension on the neck, which is why it needs two graphite support rods.
LoudLon [moderator]
That's just too much guitar, man. Some players don't even use all four strings on a regular bass. What the hell are you going to do with 24???
Marko1960
I think four strings is enough, anything else is just showing off
That guy's stache is the only thing I want in the picture. The bass is too confusing.
Its not that difficult really, a triple course eight string (F#BEADGCF) same concept as the twelve string that started this thread but based on eight strings instead of four.

Quote:
I think four strings is enough, anything else is just showing off

Disagree. If this was true, these things wouldn't exist. The music you like to play may not need this many strings and neither does mine but maybe theirs does.

Quote:
That's just too much guitar, man. Some players don't even use all four strings on a regular bass. What the hell are you going to do with 24???

Not every song has to use every string or hit every fret. I apologize if it seems like Im picking apart others opinions and for the coming rant but its just a pet peeve of mine when people hate on extended range for a reason that boils down to “I don't know what to do with those other strings”. Sometimes it seems like they think basses like this are taking over and they might actually be forced to play them someday which is bullshit. Far extended range basses like this are rare, custom made and very expensive and off the top of my head I can only think of two manufacturers that offer basses with more than six strings as production models so dont worry guys, the four string isnt going anywhere. Something creative, expressive and innovative could actually happen and people will kill it just because its creative, expressive and innovative. Once again I apologize if sound douchey but seriously, art has no boundaries.

Rant over.
Marko1960
Lets agree to disagree
IamMark
I'm all for creativity, but I think the musical world would be happier if they gave these instruments a different name. These 12, 17, 24-string instruments aren't your traditional bass instruments. I've never played one, but I don't think their role is the same as what the 4 (even 5-string) bass' role is in today's music.

It's like calling a synthesizer a keyboard. No, it's a synthesizer. Just because it has black and white keys doesn't make it a keyboard. They're also both played and used differently in music.

So I think we owe the music world a service by coming up with a name with these massive instruments, so that bass players can calm down and know that their world isn't being turned upside down.

I propose: the Harpsalanoodle.
Quote:
...I propose: the Harpsalanoodle.
Before reading your post, I thought Harpster would be a catchy name.

Reply to this thread