0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Chris Squire of Yes RIP!

johnny880
Quote:
I admired the man, not so much the music of Yes.
Thanks Marko. Funny never seen them on youtube. Big place though. Thanks I will check them out. And I understand Monkee Mania. YES is a acquired taste. I was young and impressionable when I first heard them from a guy that was in a jazz band. Great guitarists they were. They loved YES and the contraband they handed out in the day didn't hurt the listening experience. Progressive rock isn't for everyone. I get that. That is what makes playing bass and music in general so awesome. There is something for everyone. Doesn't hurt to try new things on your bass though. If the bass is good I will try and play anything even if I don't like the song only the bass. Some is out of my league unfortunately. But I will dabble with a riff or two.
LP
I agree, Yes are/were an acquired taste, not for everyone. I can't say I was their biggest fan and i'm not a huge lover of progressive rock but as musicians i admired and respected them greatly. The musicianship in that band is just awe inspiring. Obviously the bass playing stood out for me and was very in your face, in a way that John Entwistle was in The Who. Would have been great to see the classic Yes in their day, but i was too busy going to see The Who too many times!
mr zee
Prog rock was an acquired taste which unfortunately i didn't have at the time but some bands/songs grew on me in later years, like America by Yes
mr zee
Genesis have never appealed to me but Uriah heep, yes and the flock grew on me over the years. I think it was the fact that I was unable to play that type of music when I first started. Glam and punk rock were easy in comparison.
johnny880
Quote:
I agree, Yes are/were an acquired taste, not for everyone. I can't say I was their biggest fan and i'm not a huge lover of progressive rock but as musicians i admired and respected them greatly. The musicianship in that band is just awe inspiring. Obviously the bass playing stood out for me and was very in your face, in a way that John Entwistle was in The Who. Would have been great to see the classic Yes in their day, but i was too busy going to see The Who too many times!
Damn that's another band on my regret list. Never saw The Who even though they played here a few times. Should start a new thread of bands we wish had seen but never did. And its to late.
johnny880
Quote:
Prog rock was an acquired taste which unfortunately i didn't have at the time but some bands/songs grew on me in later years, like America by Yes
The Paul Simon song. Nice funky beat to it and Steve Howe got to show of his guitar skills.
johnny880
Quote:
Genesis have never appealed to me but Uriah heep, yes and the flock grew on me over the years. I think it was the fact that I was unable to play that type of music when I first started. Glam and punk rock were easy in comparison.
I love July Morning, The Wizard, Easy Livin, and Stealin by Uriah Heep. Not everyones cup of tea that band either. I think they are still together as well. Never seen band for my regret list along with Saga.
johnny880
Quote:
I still cant play 3/4s of it. But that's not going to stop me from trying and it gives a testament to the level of musicianship that these bands had at that time. And not many realized or trashed a lot of them not knowing what they were actually playing at the time. I really have a hard time with music that's coming out these days. If I listen to radio. Only in my car mind you. Its on the local alternative station. To me that's where all the real good new music is coming from.
LP
“Damn that's another band on my regret list. Never saw The Who even though they played here a few times. Should start a new thread of bands we wish had seen but never did. And its to late.”

I consider myself very lucky to have seen The Who in their heyday with the powerhouse rhythm section of Keith Moon & John Entwistle. They would blow you ears off!
Good times!
Marko1960
Some people would say you can always replace a drummer and bassist, sadly not the case with Keith and John

Reply to this thread