0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Going fretless

basskid
13 years ago
Report this message
I've been thinking of getting a fretless bass for some time now. I think I have okay technique when it comes to neck fingering (though not stellar) and playing a fretless bass just looks really interesting to me. Is it hard to pick up? What's some cool stuff that you can do on a fretless that you can't do on a fretted bass? What about lined vs. unlined?
johnny [staff]
I've tried a fretless once and it was really hard for me.. I'm used to fretting in the middle of the frets but on the fretless you have to get it exactly right. I've played an unlined though, but I'm guessing lined is easier if you don't hear yourself so good.
basskid
I went to the instrument store and tried some out, with the unlined I pretty much don't know what the hell I'm doing lol, but with the lined I can hit the notes, I just gotta look at the neck a lot. Slides are really fun with a fretless
bassm99
I'd love to give a fretless bass a try but having seen what Mick Karn could do with one I think I will gracefully decline.
Sidsquishus
I'd like to try a fretless bass as well, but it would definitely need to have the lines indicating frets.

To play a fretless without the lines would require a good ear (able to hear when you are sharp or flat, even a wee bit) and lots of experience travelling a bass neck, so you'd sort of instinctively know how far up or down the neck you needed to travel to find the note you were after.

But you can get cool sounds and transitions on a fretless (based on recording I've listened to) that you can't get from a fretted neck.

Best of luck, and let us know what happens!
In have no experience but a year and all playing a Fretless now.
IamMark
Old thread. But having made my own fret less (without lines), I can confirm that it is an unforgiving instrument. Absolutely no room for error if you're wanting a clean sound.

It's fun to play and noodle around with, but it's not my go-to bass for playing with others.
Marko1960
It's Cellist or Double Bassist territory, defo not for the fat bloke at the back
2nick3
I think you have to have a great ear to play fretless - even more so for an unlined fretboard. A minor difference in fretting position changes the tone, and you have to hear that and be able to adjust.

Lines do help, a lot - I'm almost able to play with them. Placement of your fingers to get the notes just right is not easy, and if your fretting technique isn't really solid (guilty… it will be pretty obvious.
kuxubi
My last check was $9500 working 12 hours every week on the web. My sisters companion has been averaging 15k throughout recent months and she works around 20 hours per week. I can't trust how simple it was once I given it a shot. This is my main event, ℂashverity.ℂom
Marko1960
Quote:
My last check was $9500 working 12 hours every week on the web. My sisters companion has been averaging 15k throughout recent months and she works around 20 hours per week. I can't trust how simple it was once I given it a shot. This is my main event, ℂashverity.ℂom
Anyone who believes that crap deserves to lose money

Reply to this thread