0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Starting out with playing bass

TheDude [staff]
13 years ago
Report this message
I'm one of the dudes that manage this site, but I don't actually play bass. I'd like to though, it only seems proper, so what would be the best way for me to start?
What kind of bass and amp should I get? What should I focus on learning first and how? I don't really have money for an instructor, so I was hoping to learn without one.
Any books I should buy or anything like that? Well, thanks for reading.
yamaha basses are good to start with
basskid
True, get a Yamaha and start fooling around, if you have a friend who plays bass tell him to show you the basics. Or if you can find an instructor for just one hour or two so he can tell you what to focus on and how to learn.
jj
there's loads of solid material on the internet.

there's quite a collection of lessons even on this site (http://www.bigbasstabs.com/b/bass_lessons_bass_tabs.html).
crud#1
There's loads on the internet. Buy a practice amp to start with!
TheDude [staff]
Thanks, everyone.

I forgot to check the forum for some time and there you have it, the bass community comes to the rescue.

But does anyone have like a good set of lessons that are appropriate for a beginner? The stuff I've found on the net is pretty random.
lozza
i made my own bass guitar in 1960 used it for 4 years till i purchased a fender, have stuck with fender ever since
TheDude [staff]
Wait a minute now.

You made your guitar?
johnny [staff]
hey lozza, do you have some pictures of your home-made bass guitar

would love to see some
my first was a yamaha 170 its cheap but ALOT better than a first act or crescent bass. my little amp is a fender rumble 15 bass amp. they are about 100 dollars but have good sound quality.just watch some videos and you will get the hang of it. this guy on youtube is awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/user/finbarbass
tin ear
I have only been learning now for just over a year but I did have use to play an acoustic rhythm when I was a kid.I found the easiest way to learn was to get some tabs of songs that I liked that had simple but strong basslines..Hey Joe, House of the Rising Sun and Fortunate Son were my first efforts.

Sorry I can't offer any advice on cost effective amp and guitars as I am no 60 and bought what I wanted.

Good luck.

Good luck.

Reply to this thread