0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Tech Guys

Marko1960
Looking good, I'll go into the neck socket tonight, the hardest part of the job
Marko1960
Make an actual size template of the upper half of the body from its widest point, use the 10mm ply. Place it on the body and Mark the centre line. Place the neck in the correct position on this template and draw round it with a sharp pencil. Put a 1/4“ straight cutter into the router and measure from the widest point of the cutter to the outer edge of the guide. Use this measurement to enlarge the neck socket on the template. Start off by making the socket template slightly smaller all round, screw the template to some 18mm ply and do a trial run, cutting a socket into the ply. Now fit the neck into this socket, it should be a very tight fit or so tight that you can't get the neck into it. Now, using sandpaper round a block, slowly and carefully enlarge the template, just a bit at a time and do another dummy run on the 18mm ply and once again try the neck into the new socket. It's all trial and error, once the neck goes into the dummy socket without having to force it but with no sideways movement, you are ready to clamp the template to the body, replace the 1/4” cutter with a new one and start cutting the socket. Only cut about 1/8" depth at a time and don't rush it. Measure the depth of the neck socket on one of your of the peg basses and this is the depth you will require, you'll need to take the thickness of the ply template into account when setting the depth of your router. Good luck and remember, take your time. I should have mentioned, do the rounding over on the top of the body before cutting the socket but don't do the back
IamMark
I haven't given up on this Marko. I had to take some time off of the bass project to build my son some new bedroom furniture while he was away at summer camp.

I will be taking the next two weeks off to go on a vaction with the family. When I return I will jump right back on the bass and knock this out.

I'm hoping to have this bass done this autumn.
Marko1960
no hurry, Rome wasnt built in a day, took at least three weeks
Sidsquishus
How's this project going IamMark?
IamMark
I haven't given up. I've just been ridiculously busy at work.

I'm routing the corners on the body today and making my neck socket template.

I'll post pics soon.
IamMark
I'll have the neck socket done tomorrow.
TheDude [staff]
that looks nice!
IamMark
I now have a neck socket. Needs some minor sanding. Not as snug as I wanted, but I'm gonna poly the hell out of this thing so it should fit better then.
Sidsquishus
Whoooohoooo! progress!

It's not too late to glue some material back in there and narrow the pocket a bit. Just a thought….

Reply to this thread