0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Tech Guys

IamMark
Marko1960
Are we ready yet Mark?
IamMark
I'm ready. Show me the way!

I need to know how to make my body template with the horns using my router base. Do I need to make two different templates; one for the top side of the horn and one for the bottom?
Marko1960
forget that for now, get your router out and set it up, if you followed instructions you will have purchase a long straight cutter, the type kitchen fitters use to cut worktops, fit it into your router. Next, the guide. You might have got a centre guide with your router, if not you can buy one from a good tool store, its circular and raised in the centre and looks like a top hat with the top cut off, they are about 1,1/2" across at the widest part with two screw holes to fit it to your router, the raised edge runs alongside your plywood template. There is a short distance between the cutter and the outer edge of the guide, this must be taken into account, if you use a full size template then the guitar would be bigger by this margin. I will have to try and get some photos on here. I'LL BE BACK
IamMark
Quote:
forget that for now, get your router out and set it up, if you followed instructions you will have purchase a long straight cutter, the type kitchen fitters use to cut worktops, fit it into your router. Next, the guide. You might have got a centre guide with your router, if not you can buy one from a good tool store, its circular and raised in the centre and looks like a top hat with the top cut off, they are about 1,1/2" across at the widest part with two screw holes to fit it to your router, the raised edge runs alongside your plywood template. There is a short distance between the cutter and the outer edge of the guide, this must be taken into account, if you use a full size template then the guitar would be bigger by this margin. I will have to try and get some photos on here. I'LL BE BACK

Are you talking about something like this?

I didn't get one with my router. I'll need to go pick one up. So the difference in measurement from the template to the cutting blade isn't that much. I had 1 and 5/8" from the outer guide of the router to the outer edge of my bit, which made the tempate very small and the horns impossible to cut.

I'll need to go find one of these guides.
Marko1960
all will become clear
IamMark
Ok, Marko I found a center template guide for my router like the one pictured above. I had a hell of a time finding a store that carries them. And when I found a store, they didn't have the nut that fits on the back. So I had to drive all over the county to find that.

I should have just bought one on-line last week.

But I have one now, and I will measure and re-draw my paper template and transfer to the 10mm ply this weekend.
Marko1960
Ok, but we need to put the full size paper template onto the body blank first, then draw round it with a thick tipped marker pen, don't forget to line up the centre lines. Go ahead and do that anytime you like.
IamMark
Silly question: why draw it again on the body blank? Why not just fasten the ply template to the body blank where the holes for the pickups and neck heel would go to hold it in place?
Marko1960
We need to cut the body out with a jigsaw or preferably a bandsaw, slightly oversize. Then the reduced template, ( reduce by exactly the measurement between the widest point of the cutter to the outer edge of the guide) is screwed to the top of the the body, two screws, one where the pick up will be and one where the bridge will be, then we will go round the template with the router, this will square the sides and give the body it's correct size and shape. Next, using a 1/2" rounding over bit with a bearing, we will round over the edges front and back. Be aware when using a jigsaw that the blade can bend in over on tight bends, I thoroughly recommend taking it to a joiners shop to have it cut out on a bandsaw, close to the marker line but not over it, it will cost a fraction of what a professional jigsaw would cost and a lot cheaper than having to replace that lovely lump of Alder

Reply to this thread