0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Measures

Marko1960
Quote:
I agree, I thought tabs were to inform where fingers went on frets and the rest was picked up by listening to the song. As you know Marko i'm as thick as two short planks with muso theory and cant read music whatsoever but those less capable might need to know exactly what to do, including size and thickness of pick or which finger to pluck with.
You can play Mr Zee, you don't need theory, you are also in the majority, most miso' sdont have a clue what the dots mean but they know how to play the song. So I put it to these people who are shouting for measures, just learn where the notes go and work the rest out for yourself
Marko1960
Quote:
I agree, I thought tabs were to inform where fingers went on frets and the rest was picked up by listening to the song. As you know Marko i'm as thick as two short planks with muso theory and cant read music whatsoever but those less capable might need to know exactly what to do, including size and thickness of pick or which finger to pluck with.
You can play Mr Zee, you don't need theory, you are also in the majority, most muso's don't have a clue what the dots mean but they know how to play the song. So I put it to these people who are shouting for measures, just learn where the notes go and work the rest out for yourself
LoudLon [moderator]
Why I think it matters to include measures:

Way back in the '90s, I wanted to learn how to play Rotten Apple by Alice in Chains on bass. At the time the only tab site around was guitarnotes.com. The tab they had looked like this:

Tabs:
G|----4--2---4--2-40---02---------------|
D|-022-200022-2000--024-----------------|
A|--------------------------------------|
E|--------------------------------------|

It was all slopped together and, to a newbie player such as I was at the time, it was damn near interminable. Compare that to the riff laid out with proper notation, measure markers and a counter:

Tabs:
Gb|-------4-----2-------------------|-------4-----2-----4-0-------0h2-|
Db|-0h2-2---2-0-0-------------------|-0h2-2---2-0-0---0-----0-2h4-----|
Ab|---------------------------------|---------------------------------|
Eb|---------------------------------|---------------------------------|
....1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &

Now read the tab while listening to the song and judge which is more helpful. Tablature may essentially be Sheet Music for Dummies, but that doesn't mean it can't still be detailed. I'm not trying to take anything away from other tabbers who don't indicate measures, notation, etc., but personally, when I first started, the more detailed a tab was, the better it helped me understand not just that particular song, but things like tempo, time sig, song structure, etc.

Granted, not everyone picks up a tab hoping to learn those kinds of things. They just want to see where to put their fingers and work the rest out themselves. And that's perfectly fine. But where some may think the more detailed style of tabbing is pedantic, I prefer to think of it as thorough. And that's perfectly fine, too.
Marko1960
Quote:
Why I think it matters to include measures:Way back in the '90s, I wanted to learn how to play Rotten Apple by Alice in Chains on bass. At the time the only tab site around was guitarnotes.com. The tab they had looked like this: Tabs: G|----4--2---4--2-40---02---------------|D|-022-200022-2000--024-----------------|A|--------------------------------------|E|--------------------------------------| It was all slopped together and, to a newbie player such as I was at the time, it was damn near interminable. Compare that to the riff laid out with proper notation, measure markers and a counter: Tabs: Gb|-------4-----2-------------------|-------4-----2-----4-0-------0h2-|Db|-0h2-2---2-0-0-------------------|-0h2-2---2-0-0---0-----0-2h4-----|Ab|---------------------------------|---------------------------------|Eb|---------------------------------|---------------------------------|....1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & Now read the tab while listening to the song and judge which is more helpful. Tablature may essentially be Sheet Music for Dummies, but that doesn't mean it can't still be detailed. I'm not trying to take anything away from other tabbers who don't indicate measures, notation, etc., but personally, when I first started, the more detailed a tab was, the better it helped me understand not just that particular song, but things like tempo, time sig, song structure, etc.Granted, not everyone picks up a tab hoping to learn those kinds of things. They just want to see where to put their fingers and work the rest out themselves. And that's perfectly fine. But where some may think the more detailed style of tabbing is pedantic, I prefer to think of it as thorough. And that's perfectly fine, too.
Not as thorough as Standard notation though so now we need three sites, Big Bass Notations, Big Bass Tabs and Big Bass Super Advanced Tabs For People Not Savvy Enough For Standard Notations But Too Clever For The Plebs Big Bass Tabs.

Bosh
Marko1960
…also your second example with the markers is in 16th notes so your markers need to be, 1 e & a 2 e & a 3 e & a 4 e & a etc
LoudLon [moderator]
Now you're just being petty. Speaking of petty, you've been here five years and have yet to submit a single tab. So go, write a tab, show us what we're all doing wrong.
Marko1960
I can't get away with the tools available, God knows I've tried, what's the tree all about, and is that a door handle? Maybe a tutorial on how to use the tools is overdue. I could do it on paper and photograph it but I haven't been able to upload pics for God knows how long. But I'll give it a shot
Marko1960
Tabs:
G|--------------------------------------|
D|-------------------------2----4----5-----|
A|-----------2----3----5-------------------|
E|3----5---------------------------------|
1. &. 2. £. 3. £. 4. &
Just used a scale as an example of what happens when I try to use the tools, see how the bar expands and goes all out of shape. Tell me where I'm going wrong. I'm using an iPad by the way
MrWayne
Excuse me for asking. I thought this was a site to help beginners learn bass guitar. Apparently I was wrong. This seems to be site where experienced bass players get together to bash beginners who ask questions. In the future I will go elsewhere. Sorry to have bothered you.
2nick3
1. Use Notepad (Windows) or TextEdit (Mac), as these are text editors and not word processors. Word will try to interpret what you have typed into what it thinks you meant, and it will mess it up.
1a. It looks like the app “Textor” is the best equivalent for iOS. It's free.
2. Use Courier New as the font. Or if you must be a rebel (Looking at you, Jay!), Lucida Console (Win) or Monaco (Mac). They are monospace fonts - each character has the same width. So when you line things up vertically they stay lined up. (It looks like Textor handles that for you, nothing to set there)
3. If you choose not to follow 1 and 2, then before posting on BBT paste your tab into Notepad or TextEdit and see why 1 and 2 are 1 and 2.
4. Don't try to edit your tab on BBT - go back to 1 and 2. You can edit on BBT, but there's a good chance you'll mess it up. Just do it right. You did save your tab, right? Save is on the CTRL-S in Notepad, Command-S in TextEdit.
5. Keep lines below about 90 characters - BBT will shrink the display font if you don't, making your tab very hard to read. This includes making sure you don't have any extraneous stuff out past the ends of the lines as well - a bunch of extra spaces will do it, even though you don't see them. It's the one thing you can fix in a posted tab pretty easily. 4x 16th note measures, 5 measures breaks, a set of repeats and the string names is 72 (73 if drop tuned), so keeping text lines the same length means you're in good shape.

Marko - if you have the line of text outside the
Tabs:
tags in your forum post it will format correctly. Or figure about where it should break and add an “Enter” yourself. Submitting a tab has everything between those markers, hence #5 above is important to remember. If you edit your post and copy the “Just used…” line below the tag it will format correctly.

As to your tab itself, you have a different number of characters on each line, hence the end of line marks ( | ) aren't aligned. That's 1 and 2.

Just like playing bass, no one gets it right to start. You have to work at it. My career has had me doing enough coding that I knew what would happen with the formatting before I posted my first tab, so I was on top of it, but I still had to tweak things a bit to get it how I wanted it to look. Copying one of Lon's tabs to get the formatting helped a lot, too.

Reply to this thread