0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

new to the bass guitar

Marko1960
Actually that's really good Johnny, it's the difference between a bass player and someone who does covers of someone else's stuff, and when you develop your own style you learn faster because you are playing to your own ability, your brain and fingers work in harmony
johnny880
Hi Marko. Thanks for the COMPLIMENT. Much appreciated. However I have many moons to go. Don't get me wrong I like playing songs and there is nothing wrong with that. Some people just want to play to there favorite tunes and that's it. Totally cool. Maybe its just me but sometimes I don't feel like listening to music. Sometimes I just want to screw around and play my own stuff. Make up riffs. Some work out. I am thinking maybe 3% and a whole lotta crap. The ones I do like I keep and work on and I might post them here one day. Funny I even still play the crap I have written. I guess I just don't want to throw it under the bus just yet. Lol.
LoudLon [moderator]
Quote:
Sometimes I just want to screw around and play my own stuff. Make up riffs. Some work out. I am thinking maybe 3% and a whole lotta crap.

And this is how it goes for pretty much everyone, regardless of how skilled they are, or how famous their band is. Some professional musicians will spends countless hours recording everything they do every time they plug in, and maybe one riff out of fifty will be worth using and expanding upon. And it's not just musicians – pretty much any artist or person who creates for a living. Between any two works of art there will be a dozen pieces of utter garbage. But it's the good ones that count.
johnny880
Hi LoudLon. You are so right. I have heard many stories of musicians recording things they thought were garbage and threw in the closet only to be rediscovered later. I may be wrong but I think Dreamer by Rodger Hodgsen and Supertramp is an example. Forgotten gem rediscovered. Maybe that's why I keep playing the crap I have written thinking maybe I can work it into something. You said its the good one that counts. Exactly. It only takes one to feel good about what you are doing. I have 3 out of my numerous attempts. Two of them I have been working on for awhile. I cant describe how I feel when I play them. They are rather slow moody songs and when I put a little phase on my bass I get lost. I am in another zone. Playing the bass is magic. I just wish I had of started playing when I was younger. I guess its like the old proverb. If wishes were horses, beggars would ride. And still I think its never to late in anyones life to learn how to play. So if any of you young guys out there read this. Never ever give up. One day that spark will come and you will make up a few lines and go wow. And then I am sorry but you are now hooked and have become a bass junky. And that's a cool crowd to be in. IMHO…
mr zee
The deep end is the place to be johnny880 and your songs that you feel aren't any good, one day, will be as you will change bits over time to improve them. I've been playing with a song for about a year or so now, no lyrics, and I keep adding and changing it. One day I might get around to videoing it and post a tab. I've been playing for about 40 years but I never learn't how to read music or did any theory, was shown the basic 3 notes for blues / rock and then everything else, good and bad, was down to me but I get by.
johnny880
Hi Mr Zee. I don't know how to read music either. Maybe a few notes. But mostly tab. Theory. I get the jist of it but really I don't have that kinda time. I just want to play till I drop. Make sense. I am the same. I learned those same 3 notes. Never thought I would be able to pluck 2 fingers at the same time or alternate them. Who knew. As far as you getting by. Are you kidding me. The tabs that you and LoudLon do blow me away. I am playing one of yours now actually. Also same kinda thing. I was teaching myself the blues. Walking bass lines etc. I wanted to be able to move around the neck without thinking about it. I can move around the neck but I really have to think about it lol. Man its really good to talk to you guys. MR ZEE you seem to like some of the oldies like I do. Don't get me wrong I like music right up to the present. Well some of it. A lot of garbage these days. Just wondering I wrote music to the song in the Hunger Games. The Hanging tree. Didn't hear any bass so I made it up. I like the way Jennifer Lawrence sang it. Sounds good. My bass I think sounds good and she looks good. What more could you ask for. Do you think its possible to write bass for Neil Youngs very old live version of sugar mountain he did on acoustic. I would normally put a question mark after that sentence but it doesn't work on this computer. Love that song. I tend to ramble my apologies. Talk to you later. Johnny…
mr zee
Hi johnny880, as far as i'm concerned bass tabs can be wrote for any song you want to add one to. I've a couple of leonard cohen tunes i'm trying to do some bass tabs for at the moment.
mr zee
Hi johnny880, Lon's a lot better at tabbing than me. Fact. Ayreon77 is also better than me
johnny880
Hi Mr ZEE. The problem I have is figuring out the key. I am not very good at that yet. Experience I think. When I wrote the bass to Jennifer Lawrence singing hanging tree I just went by her voice and matched it to the bass and what I wanted to do with the song. I don't find it that easy with other tunes. That Neil Young tune for example. I hear it. I know what I would like to do with it. I just cant figure out the key or how to discover the key that it was written in. Like I said experience I guess. Maybe you guys have a trick or two you want to share. Also just curious do you guys ever find a song you are playing could be better and ad a few embellishments. Or is that blasphemy. Should it be played the way the artist wrote the song…
mr zee
Quote:
Hi Mr ZEE. Maybe you guys have a trick or two you want to share. Also just curious do you guys ever find a song you are playing could be better and ad a few embellishments. Or is that blasphemy. Should it be played the way the artist wrote the song…

I play the first couple of seconds of the video, pause it, whilst humming the key. It takes a few goes sometimes but it generally works for me.

I play what I hear, which due to my ability and quality of the video, isn't always correct. Some of my tabs are my versions of how I used to play songs.

Most of the tabbers try to get as close to the original as possible but as in a lot of my tabs that isn't always the case.

Reply to this thread