0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

cheapest, best bass you've played

ZackWyatt
threads probably been done before but sod it

about 4 years ago, I remember not bringing my bass to band practice after school and all they had in the music room was this beat up bass, after tuning it, i thought,“wow, this is amazing” and i could tell it was a cheap bass because 1) it was a school bass, and they never spent too much on anything and 2) it was knackered/goosed but was still playable. all i remember about the bass is it being a cream white precision bass and for some reason the brand name i remember is Appleton (but i could be mistaken)

anyway, what's the cheapest, best bass you've played?
2nick3
Used Peavey Foundation, the USA ones with the Super Ferrite soap-bar style pickups. I now have 2. Not sure what they ran new, but if you can put your hands on one you may not put it back down. Plays smooth and easy, and the output from those pickups is amazing.
LoudLon [moderator]
I've played Peavey, Fender, ESP, Gibson and pretty much every other brand I can think of, but the cheapest is the one I'm playing now, and having been playing on for the last five years – a rinky dink little Austin 4-string which sells for I believe $125, but that I traded an even cheaper $50 Dreadnought acoustic guitar for. But as cheap as it is, I love it – probably because I myself am notoriously cheap. I keep saying I'm going to upgrade to a better bass some day but the truth is I'll probably stick with this Austin until the day it falls apart in my hands.
mr zee
Mine is a used Epiphone EB3, battered and bruised, plays very well. Cost me £65

Previous to this was a brand new Harley Benton P bass look-a-like for £100 which also played quite well, but I ended up doing some mods to all the knobs etc black, apart from the maple neck

Its also been renamed as Findus sea bass
IamMark
Fender Squire P Bass.
Marko1960
Hohner Steinberger copy, amazing but no longer cheap
Marko1960
Quote:
Mine is a used Epiphone EB3, battered and bruised, plays very well. Cost me £65Previous to this was a brand new Harley Benton P bass look-a-like for £100 which also played quite well, but I ended up doing some mods to all the knobs etc black, apart from the maple neckIts also been renamed as Findus sea bass
Is that a Stingray next to it?
mr zee
[
Is that a Stingray next to it?

Not a real one, it started life as a dimavery, £125 but i changed all the hardware to brass/gold chrome
mr zee

its called frankenstein
Marko1960
Quote:
[Is that a Stingray next to it?Not a real one, it started life as a dimavery, £125 but i changed all the hardware to brass/gold chrome
I'd love a pre 78 one, Fender made them for MusicMan up till then but Leo and Tom Walker had a falling out and Leo pulled the plug so the Fender ones are quite sought after but you don't get much change from two grand
mr zee
I had a go on one in the late 70's, Sterling, before I really knew anything about bass' and at the time wasn't sure about it. To me the Rickenbacker 4001/3, Gibson grabber and Fender P bass were the ones to get. How stupid I was as an 19 year old not to realise what a piece of kit it was. Doh

Reply to this thread