0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Does anyone know this obscure '90s song?

LoudLon [moderator]
Been there, done that, years ago. My only real chance of finding this song is if there's someone else out there who remembers more about than I do, and happens to stumble upon one of the many places around the web that I've asked about it. A couple times a year I give in and, despite knowing it'll lead me nowhere, I'll ask about it on Yahoo Answers, post something on watzatsong or Shazam, spend a night digging around the ‘net or emailing DJs, etc. Obviously none of those things have worked yet, though.

Oh, but to answer your question, it was the local Oahu station, KCCN. But they don’t keep playlist records going back that far. Most radio stations don't. And those that do tend to only keep record on the top 100, maybe 200, songs that got the most requests and airplay that year. An obscurity like this that only got airplay a handful of times – not a chance.
IamMark
LoudLon [moderator]
Good effort, but nope. Although I was a fan of that band back in the day and have a couple of their songs on my to-do list.

To clarify, it's more of an alt-pop song. No heavy crunch/distortion, laid back, vocals were mellow (a kind of nasally voice which as I mentioned reminded me of the lead singer of Cameo, plus an aquatic/warbly effect added).
Ares
Getting warmer, colder?
LoudLon [moderator]
Still way off, sadly. Here's the vocal melody during the chorus. Each word coincides with a quarter beat (ignore the periods, needed them to make stuff line up).

Tabs:
Tempo = 96
.......I like to swim I like to swim (????????????????????)
G|-----------------|-----------------|-----------------|-----------------|
D|-------------2---|-0-----------2---|-0---------------|-----------------|
A|-----2-----------|-----2-----------|-----------------|-----------------|
E|---------3-------|---------3-------|-----------------|-----------------|
...1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &

.......I like to swim I like to swim (????????????????????)
G|-----------------|-----------------|-----------------|-----------------|
D|-------------2---|-0-----------2---|-5---------------|-----------------|
A|-----2-----------|-----2-----------|-----------------|-----------------|
E|---------3-------|---------3-------|-----------------|-----------------|
...1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &
Marko1960
It sounds like a really good song aswell, Lennon/McArtney, Rogers/Hammerstein, Bacherach/David should be spinning in their graves
IamMark
Thanks for passing this obsession to all of us, Lon. I have my wife searching for it too now.
IamMark
Quote:
vocals were mellow (a kind of nasally voice which as I mentioned reminded me of the lead singer of Cameo, plus an aquatic/warbly effect added).

You did mention this. If this is the only absolutes of your memory of the song, then fair enough.

Didn't Psychefunkapus have a nasally singer? They were a pretty obscure band in the early 90s.
LoudLon [moderator]
Quote:
It sounds like a really good song aswell, Lennon/McArtney, Rogers/Hammerstein, Bacherach/David should be spinning in their graves

Never said it was a good song, only that it's been stuck in my head for a couple decades. Thanks for the snark, though!

IamMark – As deep as I am into ‘90s alt-rock I have to admit I’ve never heard of that band. I just looked up a couple of their songs on Youtube, and while the style and voice don't fit, I'm definitely going to give them more of a listen. That's one thing good that has come from my search for this song, it's lead me to other obscure bands that got lost in the flood of alt-rock that came after Nirvana broke big.
Marko1960
1. Swimming – Breathe Owl Breathe
2. Channel Swimmer – Corbin Murdoch and the Nautical Miles
3. Front Crawl – Frank Turner
4. The Swimming Song – Loudon Wainwright III
5. Nightswimming – REM
6. Crawled out of the sea – Laura Marling
7. Channel Swimmer – 10CC
8. Swim Until You Can't See Land – Frightened Rabbits
9. Swimming Lesson – Eels
10. Swim – Jack's Mannequin, any one of these?

Reply to this thread