0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

A Question About Transposing

moonbutt74
Hi,

There is a request on the list for He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother to be transposed to B flat.
The song appears to be in the key of G originally.
I struggle with theory, but if I understand correctly G is the relative minor of B flat.
So would i tab out the song as “normal” and then bump the whole thing up a minor third ?

Is that how that works ?

Thanks.

m
Marko1960
Mmmm, the way I see it is just move everything up three frets so you are in the key of B flat instead of G

…could it be that simple?
mr zee
I know nothing abut music theory but yeah i'd have gone up three frets to Bb
2nick3
That's how I transpose songs too - just move everything up three frets so G becomes Bb. On a tab the 3 on the E string would become a 6.

The band leader for the Praise band I play in changes keys on us from time to time, usually because he changes who is singing lead on the song. I work out the bass lines on the songs without playing any open strings to make the adjustments easier.

Of course that doesn't help much when you transpose the other direction. Bb to G would just be cruel - you'd have to rework the patterns you're playing wherever you run into the nut. We did it once (D to C) and only once…
LoudLon [moderator]
Quote:
Mmmm, the way I see it is just move everything up three frets so you are in the key of B flat instead of G…could it be that simple?

Could be, and is!
Thanks guys. =)
Marko1960
Quote:
Of course that doesn't help much when you transpose the other direction. Bb to G would just be cruel - you'd have to rework the patterns you're playing wherever you run into the nut. We did it once (D to C) and only once…

If you were all sat waiting for the singer and Barry White walked in you'd probably pack up and leave
mr zee
Now that's deep
Marko1960
D
E
E
E
E
E
E E E E E P
Hi…i am a new user here. In my case i play in changes keys on us from time to time, usually because he changes who is singing lead on the song. I work out the bass lines on the songs without playing any open strings to make the adjustments easier.

pcb assembly china
Marko1960
…didn't 2nick3 say that?

Reply to this thread