0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

How to solve the versions problem?

mr zee
I'm thinking of posting a couple of Ozzy tabs one has been tabbed twice, 3star and 5star and the other has not been tabbed at all, the reason i'm pointing this out is the fact that the basic tune is the same but the bass tabs would be versions of how I played them in the 1980's and not copies of records, taken from song books or any other type of media. Does this make my tabs worse
mr zee
One thing I noticed the other day on my tab page were a couple of songs that had been favorited but not rated, I'm by no means a good tabber but why would someone favorit a tab with out rating it.
I've submitted 72 tabs with about 60 5 star. 1 4.5 and around 10 no rating at all, as blue pointed out a few month ago it seems you get a five or nothing
Marko1960
“Its a funny old world” (in a Ray Winstone Cockney Geezer accent)
LoudLon [moderator]
The system is set up so that anything rated lower than a 5 requires a comment to explain why the user thought it wasn't perfect. Johnny started that a while back because some folks were complaining that people were ratings their tabs low but not bothering to point out why they felt the tab was lacking. Plus, as I recall there was some talk about other tabbers low-rating someone else's tab to make their own look better.

But that tweak to the system has obviously brought its own set of problems, because it's easier for a user to just give a tab 5 stars and not have to leave a comment, than to give less than five and have to explain it. Which makes me wonder, if you're not going to rate honestly, why rate at all?

It's pretty much a “damned if you do, damned if you don't” situation.
mr zee
But that tweak to the system has obviously brought its own set of problems, because it's easier for a user to just give a tab 5 stars and not have to leave a comment, than to give less than five and have to explain it. Which makes me wonder, if you're not going to rate honestly, why rate at all?

I'm not the best tabber going by a long chalk so if I don't get ratings so be it, just thought it strange to have a couple of tabs favorited but not rated.
LoudLon [moderator]
A lot of folks favorite some tabs as a way of bookmarking them for later. Sometimes they get around to checking them out and rating them; sometimes they don't. I've got a couple that have been favorited for months, but have yet to be rated.
mr zee
See where you're coming from. Anyway gonna try and tab “I don't know” by Ozzy in A as that's the key we used to play it in. Wish me luck.
Marko1960
Quote:
See where you're coming from. Anyway gonna try and tab “I don't know” by Ozzy in A as that's the key we used to play it in. Wish me luck.
So for that reason it should be down rated, surely people are rating tabs based on the original recorded version so any deviation would require a lower score even though you are just moving it from D or G (I don't know the song but D G and A, the magic three chord lick, bound to be one of them!). The original artist rarely plays it note for note to the recorded version( it's all about groove) so all this anal retention is pointless

imo
mr zee
surely people are rating tabs based on the original recorded version

Some tunes on BBT have a dozen or more versions and if they were all like the original recorded version, that would be like having a dozen pairs of identical shoes or t shirts, pointless. Variation is the spice of life so I would have thought versions in different keys and style of play would be beneficial. If some one rates it 2 because it's in a different key that is there choice, but some one else could rate it 4 or 5 as it is easy to follow or well written or as in our case the songs we did were based on the singers vocal key and the ability of the musicians. Three or four of the tabs I have done are for songs in the key we played them in. Three have 5 stars and the other a big fat zilch, and this is in the original key so it must be a pretty crappy tab, even by my standards.
mr zee
Have just found a video of Ozzy and Randy Rhoades doing “I don't know” in A, the key of the song must have changed over time so as to hit the top notes the key had to be lowered.

Reply to this thread