0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Bass Problems

I bought my bass used, so of course there were minor issues. Just looking at it, I didn't see anything when I bought it. When plugged in to an amp, it was fine, but would occasionally come loose. This was easily fixable in the short term, just adjusting the jack when needed. I don't always use an amp, for the sake of my family, and the last time I tried I couldn't get anything. The amp would hum when turned on, and get louder when turned up, but the bass wouldn't do anything. What is the issue here? How could it get fixed? And at what cost?
You may have broken a wire on you output jack while adjusting it. Another possibility is a short in your pre-amp. If so you would need to take it to a place that repairs guitars, ask around in music stores or a guitar center if your near one. I actually got my four string back from the shop last week for something very similar to this. They had it for six days but it only cost $30.
johnny [staff]
Something could also be wrong with the cable, have you tried using another one?
2nick3
Quote:
Something could also be wrong with the cable, have you tried using another one?

And less likely, the amp. Try changing out each component in the chain (bass, cable, amp) and see what changes. That will help you pinpoint the problem (but it is likely the output jack or the wiring for it).
Quote:
Quote: Something could also be wrong with the cable, have you tried using another one? And less likely, the amp. Try changing out each component in the chain (bass, cable, amp) and see what changes. That will help you pinpoint the problem (but it is likely the output jack or the wiring for it).
The amp and cable both work with a guitar.
“I bought my bass used”

Ok, what kind of bass is it?
Passive or Active, Pre-band 2 or 3?

“When plugged in to an amp, it was fine, but would occasionally come loose.”

What is coming loose, the cable connected to the guitar or the amp or what?

“The amp would hum when turned on, and get louder when turned up, but the bass wouldn't do anything.”

Amp hums - it's called “feedback” - a dirty, dusty bass can cause this as well as a loose/broken wire(s), bad/improper soldering, bad or soon to be bad pots and possibly a bad instrument cable.
Bass wouldn't do anything? As in, plucking the strings and no notes being sent to the Amp?

Save yourself some money, a Luthier should be your last resort. I look at it this way - if someone is going to take the time to learn the bass, they should find the time to learn how to fix and repair their equipment because a Luthier may not always be around when you desperately need one. Find a schematic / wiring diagram of your bass online. See if you can diagnose your own problem, and fix it.

There are more than a handful of people here willing to help others with issues.
But……please be precise as possible on issues or problems, otherwise you are not allowing us to help you in the manner that you need.
I don't know what kind of bass you have, though passive and active bass's are similar, they are not built and wired the same way.

Question: When you plug the instrument cable into our bass, do you have a tight/snug fit?
Marko1960

The amp and cable both work with a guitar.

That means your Bass is on the fritz. I don't know what bass you have, you still haven't told us, let me know what it is before I go any further
johnny [staff]
It's very usually just a wire on the output jack. You can unscrew it, pull it out and see for yourself if any wire is loose. If it's that, it's really easy to solder it back on.
Quote:
The amp and cable both work with a guitar.That means your Bass is on the fritz. I don't know what bass you have, you still haven't told us, let me know what it is before I go any further
Fender Squire
LoudLon [moderator]
Before trying any of these other options and taking the bass apart, first try cleaning the bass's jack port using a Q-Tip dabbed with rubbing alcohol. It could just be a matter of a little smear of dust or gunk inside the port. Also be sure to clean the plugs on the cable and the amp's jack port, just to be thorough.
Marko1960
Quote:
Fender Squire
Precision, Jazz, Jaguar, Bronco, Musicmaster, Mustang???
Lon, the last time I went anywhere near the rubbing alcohol I woke up three days later under a park bench

Reply to this thread