0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Fender : precision or jazz bass ? (maybe jaguar too ?)

Youri
Let's have it, the big debate
I own a precision myself which I find perfect for rock, metal and funk
It goes very well with my effects and my playing styles (finger, pick, finger picking and slap) I also play almost everywhere (near the bridge, pickups and neck) but mostly between the bridge and the pickups. (by the way playing near the neck with a synth effect sounds really great)
I've tried two jazz basses but the precision is really the best for me, what about you guys ?
Feel free to put as much information about why did you choose and how do you play with it
I hate Precisions with the split coils, I've gotta have a split and single coil jazz setup, so in other words a Jag. I had a Jag for my first bass and didn't really like it but that was before I really knew what I was doing and got a bigger amp. Never played a Jazz bass actually so I'd have to go with a P/J Jag or Precision. Perfect blend of dark and bright. I don't know if it was just the Precision I had or if they're all like that but it was insanely bassy. It would be too bassy for Manson, too trebly for Slayer (sounded like a rubber band in one of my Slayer covers), and too much of both for Kings of Leon. I never could find a tone I liked with it, the only bass I truly enjoy is a Thunderbird
Seems like a lot of jazz basses in use right now. Personally, I'm more of a precision guy. I'll take a P or PJ over just a J. Blues over Jazz for that matter.
Okay can someone confirm this: I have heard on many occasions producers ask bassists to use Jazz basses just because it's easier to fix up. That's just ridiculous if it's true
boppa
I have a Fender Jazz and I am very happy with it. I have thought about getting a Yamaha, just for the halibut, but being a lefty, my pickens are slim. My music teacher keeps telling me to get a fretless, but he also tells me to practice more. I have been told I am lazy, but I just don't have the time.

Going back to the jazz, I do like the sound and figure that I can manipulate sound and effect through pedals and amp.

Boppa
Marko1960
Jazz has better neck, Precision has better pick up, I use Leo Fwnders best bass, the MusicMan StingRay
Marko1960
FEnder
Marko1960
Quote:
Okay can someone confirm this: I have heard on many occasions producers ask bassists to use Jazz basses just because it's easier to fix up. That's just ridiculous if it's true
False
just3boyz
I had a J Bass for a while and it was great!
the only reason i parted ways with it was to get a bass with 24 frets.
A friend of mine has a P Bass from the 70's.
It sounds incredible but it's heavier than a dead body and the neck is giant!
some people prefer the bigger necks,
but i'm not really one of those guys.
I feel like if you're going to get J or P bass that sounds amazing,
you're going to have to hunt for vintage ones.
I don't think the ones in more recent years cut it.
If you're looking for either that is affordable and playable, i'd go with the J bass.
IamMark
I've had a P bass before, and I liked it. The feel was good, but it was also my first bass so I didn't get much exploration with it.

I like the Geddy Lee signature J bass. I also think the Tony Franklin frettless bass is pretty sweet.

I think it all depends on the style music you like to play and what feels right to you.

I don't think any Fender bass is bad, but for the money I think there are other options.
IamMark
Quote:
Jazz has better neck, Precision has better pick up, I use Leo Fwnders best bass, the MusicMan StingRay
Didn't George Fullerton come up with the MusicMan?

Reply to this thread