0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Happy veteran's day!

linkinpark232
I know that there are some veterans on here, so happy veteran's day!
LoudLon [moderator]
Thanks, Link! Y'know I could have had a free lunch at Ponderosa today if it wasn't for the bad wheel bearing on my truck LOL

And Happy Veteran's Day to my fellow vets as well.
Hahaha walk! That's what the army trained you to do, to walk to Ponderosa!
LoudLon [moderator]
It's a 25-mile trip to town from where I live, over a large expanse of up-and-down, winding mountain roads. The Army trained me to walk, they didn't train me to be a 4x4.
Well now I have no respect for the Army. Can't believe this! Just kiddin I know they trained you to be a 4X4
IamMark
That sounds like candy-pants talk! Get off your ass and walk for that free steak you big Nancy!

In my JROTC classroom we have a signed picture of him
Marko1960
HAPPY? I watched the laying of poppy wreaths at the Cenotaph on Remembrance Sunday, didnt see many happy faces, most were in tears. My Great Uncle Thomas spent two years in a trench on the Western Front before being killed by a German shell at Paschendaele in 1917, I dont think HAPPY is a good description. My Dad was also torpedoed on the Russian Convoys aged 15, he survived obviously, forgive me if I dont join the celebrations
IamMark
The US doesn't honor Armistice day any more like the rest of the Allies do.

Instead, Veterans Day was declared a national holiday to recognize and thank veterans (past and present) for their service to our country. We view it as a day of celebration to honor those who paid the ultimate price to ensure Americans live free.

A lot of Americans have their own personal memorials honoring those vets who have died, but much of the “celebration” is recognizing and thanking the vets still with us.

Sadly, I think most Americans mix up our Memorial Day and Veterans Day holidays and treat them as the same thing.

johnny [staff]
In Slovenia we celebrate wine fermentation (must turns into wine - saint martin's day) on Nov. 11th. We also cook geese and ducks and eat it with a sort of flatbread. It's not a national holiday, but there's a few drunk drivers on the roads that day usually.
Marko1960
The US doesnt need to honour Armistice Day, they were only there for the last few months, and only joined WW2 due to Pearl Harbour, but if the Nazis had defeated Britain and Russia they were going to help Mexico re-take California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas

Reply to this thread