0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

How to gallop with a pick?

linkinpark232
10 years ago
Report this message
I'm wanting to learn a Cannibal Corpse song (Evisceration Plague) and need to know how to do a pick gallop on guitar. Also does anyone know the actual tuning of Evisceration Plague? I've seen a couple different tunings
LoudLon [moderator]
Galloping is easy: down, down/up/down, down/up/down/, down/up/down, etc.
linkinpark232
That's what I thought but when I play finger style on say, Run To The Hills by Maiden, the gallop sounds completely different.
This guy is pulling it off quite well.
LoudLon [moderator]
Link – personally, when I finger-gallop, depending on how fast the song is I'll use either two or three fingers on my pick hand. Something fast, like say Iron Maiden's The Trooper or Run to the Hills, I use three fingers. So if I were playing the main riff in The Trooper, it'd break down like this:

Index finger = 1
Middle finger = 2
Ring finger = 3

Main riff: 1-2-1-2, 3-2-1, 3-2-1, 3-2-1, 3-2-1, 3-2-1, 2-1-2-1-2, 3-2-1, 3-2-1 etc.

And playing with your fingers naturally sounds different than playing with a pick. Unless your fingertips are made out of sturdy but paper-thin plastic, pick notes are more crisp sounding.
linkinpark232
What I meant was the rhythm sounds different
IamMark
That sounds like a “feel” issue Link. It's going to sound off because I think (depending on how big your fingers are) the time between notes with strumming a pick and the timing between contact with your fingers is just going to be different.

I'm not sure there's many players that could play the same line using fingers then a pick and have the timing 100% exactly the same and just a tonal difference between flesh and plastic.

Reply to this thread