0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Underrated Bassists

boppa
I would have to tip the cap to Carl Radle, Barry Oakley, and Rick Grech. They built a foundation that has stood the test of time.
Towelie
Greg Lake doesn't get his fair shake. Would kill for an accurate tab of “From the Beginning”. The few that are out there are waaaay off.
just3boyz
I feel like no one ever talks about Colin Greenwood or Eric Judy. Great feels, great tones, very unique and the best parts…they have never over played.
linkinpark232
I totally thought this thread was from like a month ago. I'd say whoever makes Kid Rock's bass lines which is Kid Rock and others are underrated. His songs have some pretty cool bass lines, especially in I'm Wrong, But You Ain't Right.
johnny [staff]
What about Carol Kaye? She's the author of some of the most well known bass lines ever. Lots of people don't even know her.

Check out this video:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carol_Kaye
Sadwings
I have three that come to mind…

Ian Hill…listen to the 1st three JP releases. This was before Ian starting using a pick. Priest toughing up their image and music after Sin After Sin.
Geezer Butler…All releases with Geezer playing…IMO, there would be no Steve Harris without Geezer setting the pace.
Now for the ultimate unknown…Lord Tracy's Kinley “Barney” Wolfe. If you want great Hard Rock n Roll record, then listen to Deaf Gods of Babylon. I've seen them several times from that tour, and their bassist was unreal! For all you Pantera fans…Lord Tracy was the project of their 1st singer, Terry Glaze…incase you didn't know.
linkinpark232
I've never been big on Geezer Butler at all. He's definitely not underrated either
just3boyz
I would'nt say he's underated either, but geezer is definitely a very influential basssist (depending on who you talk to.)
he pretty much wrote the book on doom metal bass playing.
in the world of bass players, i think he's definitely made his mark.
that being said, i feel like with alot of popular rock/metal/punk music,
the bass player is often over shadowed by their guitar counterpart,
i've heard people praise jimmy pae like he was a god and have no idea who john paul jones is…what's up with that?!?
Sadwings
Agree on Geezer…however, like the statement of JPJ…when people hear the music of Black Sabbath, they think of Ozzy…not the musicians. On the other hand, its different for Maiden, becasue Steve Harris is the heart of the band. Maiden wouldn't continue if SH left the group.
As we all know, most bass players are in the shadow.
Sadwings
I never knew…thanks for the info. I just finshed watching several interviews.

Quote:
What about Carol Kaye? She's the author of some of the most well known bass lines ever. Lots of people don't even know her.Check out this video:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carol_Kaye

Reply to this thread