0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Tech Guys

Marko1960
Hi Mark, thats great news, I'm getting back into the bass that ground to a halt, I'm making a new neck, its going to be headless, I've still got some timber leftover and I've sourced a headless bridge and top anchor for 25 quid!!
Need to sort a router table out though, the first neck is still there as a painful reminder
MotorMog
Here's a lesson learned but thankfully easily rectified

Swapped out my mirror pickguard (horrible looking thing)on my Chris Aiken Squire Precision with a standard black one

Reassembled controls on new guard along with dummy pot as mine only has volume control

But no sound once screwed down

Quickly found to be jack output shorting against the cavity grounding it out as new guard is slightly different in layout

Anyway without boring you further some insulation tape between the two did the job

So if you have an issue with no or poor volume check for shorting controls on the cavity
Marko1960
Well sussed! it was probably a good idea to lose the mirror scratchplate, you dont look enough like Phil Lynott to carry it off lol. I've got a spare pot on my Stingray into which I'll be fitting a pre amp, look for ‘Papa Ds Music Emporium’ on ebay and go onto his shop and check out the pre amps, theyre cheap as and a doddle to fit, the one I'm getting is a 5 way rotary with 5 pre set tones
IamMark
Marko, another thread I read this morning got me thinking about an issue I have with my 6 string bass.

I have terrible fret buzz on the 8th fret of the E string. Only that one note. Odd. I have tinkered with my action and made minor adjustments to the dual truss rods, but because it's dual I don't want to mess with it too much.

So I'm wondering if switching to a thinner gauge fret wire will help, or just popping all the frets and filling them in and go fretless. It's a rosewood neck.

I may try a pack of flatwounds, but I really don't want to do that on an active bass.
Marko1960
Try a fret crowning file at the point of the buzz…carefully of course.
Dont use a flat file!!
Marko1960

So we are back in business, got the headless bridge and top anchor, need to get the truss rod back out of the neck that I wasnt 100% happy with and get cracked on
2nick3
I wish I had that kind of skill, Marko. Keep the updates coming so those of us without that touch can live vicariously through you!
Marko1960

Not a massive amount of progress but the bridge/tuners recessed into the body, with a chamfer for each tuner knob
IamMark
How did you make those cuts?
Marko1960
Quote:
How did you make those cuts?

A router for the rebate and a round wood rasp for the knob recesses, then sandpaper wrapped around a drill bit shaft

Reply to this thread